Counting the Days

I had a conversation with someone today who was recently made redundant. He is actively seeking other work and after four weeks is finding his enforced leisure time a little tedious having undertaken all essential tasks including decorating at home, digging his garden, polishing the car and walking the dog (repeatedly). Apparently the poor dog now feigns a limp when he sees his lead being taken from the peg.

To what can I attribute his boredom and will I be similarly struck only a few weeks into retirement? Will the grass be greener on the employed side after all? Can I break the shackles of an instilled work ethic? Will my experience be different because I shall have chosen it rather than having it foisted on me through redundancy?


Obviously there are moments of sheer panic when I contemplate the future. On the other hand, I have begun to count down the days left to work and whenever I look at that leaving date circled on the calendar, a smile spreads across my face. 



Comments

Jay Lickus said…
+caree risover...You won't believe how busy you will be once you retire.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for that; I have To Do and Bucket Lists a mile long, so I am hoping so. It is, however, disconcerting when you hear about people becoming bored by all the leisure time I am so looking forward to.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Boots and Balance

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith