A Quest


After witnessing a number of unfortunate incidents in an overcrowded office car-park, I have been waiting until retirement to change my car.

A new car purchase is always a cause for dilemma in the Risover household, especially when there are 4 golden rules to which I adhere:
1. It must be a model that I have not owned before;
2. It must not be too big and definitely not too slow;
3. It must have a petrol engine and a manual gearbox;
4. It must have leather seats and aesthetically pleasing features.

This week I have visited a few garages, met a few salesmen and been given the feeling that I have left most of them scratching their heads not least in showrooms stocked with fabric seats and diesel engines.

Today, however, I rendered speechless the young man who was trying to extol the virtues of a sport- style seat with leather headrest and arms but a super-wool covered back and bottom. 

When I suggested that I may have to sit with a chamois leather under my posterior were we to strike a deal, he did concede that he could order full leather upholstery from the manufacturer but I would have to wait for up to 4 months for delivery. Instead, he persisted, I might however prefer to consider one of the many models on the premises and for which he was sure we could agree a very good price,

I sighed and responded that it was possible that I could be persuaded to overcome my aversion to a cloth seat by wearing leather trousers for driving.

Clearly the spectacle of Caree Risover in leather trousers was a source of much amusement to the poor gent who first blushed red and was then unable to contain his laughter at the image in his mind of yours truly behind the wheel. Suffice to say he could not continue his sales pitch.

I did however manage to arrange a test drive of something larger (with leather seats) as well as of its smaller cousin with the textile upholstery. If anyone has any lederhosen they could loan me for the experience I should be grateful if they would get in touch!


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Exhaustion

Boots and Balance

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Sort Your Life Out

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith