Volunteering Anew



With the European migrant crisis dominating the headlines all summer, I have been moved to take action. Whilst I do not wish to over commit myself with voluntary work, Save the Children, founded as a result of famine following the First World War continues to be active throughout the World where children are suffering and has been appealing for Community Campaigners. The role involves liaising with the media, lobbying Members of Parliament and networking both in person and online in order to raise awareness.   


I applied and, despite a very early train journey, attended an Induction Day in Edinburgh. It was lovely to meet so many committed people of all ages and backgrounds and I only hope that I can play my part to help alleviate some of the horrors that have filled our television screens of late.

In addition I have also taken on the role of Parish Clerk for the Civil Parish in which I reside, after an appeal for a volunteer appeared to be going unheeded. Fortunately it should not be too onerous a role as the Council meets only once a month and we are a very small parish. My main duties will be to prepare the agenda for and minutes of meetings as well as dealing with correspondence and assisting the councillors with the legal implications of their decisions.

I guess it was too much to hope that the great strides I have been taking for a more Bohemian lifestyle would completely sever me from my years of legal practice or the experience gained in seeking to market my own business!



Comments

Royce Shook said…
I have found my time as a volunteer very rewarding and interesting. I am sure you will as well
Caree Risover said…
I agree but as I have adapted to my changing circumstances I have had to relinquish some roles and think carefully about what I can now properly commit to. I firmly believe that the more you put in the greater the reward and now free from the shackles of work, activity and commitment that holds my interest is more important than ever.
Tracy Altieri said…
How wonderful of you.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter