Christmas is Coming



It is very easy  to lose track of time in retirement. Without young children in the home, colleagues at work or even an Advent Calendar to remind you of the number of days to go until December 25th, there is of course a risk that Christmas Day can creep up almost unawares.

Today however my Christmas run up officially began when our Pilates wind down took place to the accompaniment of Silent Night. This was followed by a gym workout the sole purpose of which was to burn as many calories as possible in order to join fellow gym bunnies for a festive meal. Unfortunately three courses, including turkey with all the trimmings, really meant that  I ought properly to have returned for an overnight stint if all damage was to be avoided. With cards still to buy and write, it was not too difficult to formulate a legitimate excuse.

Tomorrow is Christmas Jumper Day and then there are 8 days to get those cards posted, presents bought and wrapped, food sourced, house cleaned, decorations put up and family welcomed. Goodness that's a whole week that I never got whilst working; plenty of time!


Comments

Jane said…
I often wonder how I got so much done while holding down a full-time job. The answer, I think, is that I operated at top speed all of the time, whether in the classroom or at home. I'm so grateful that I can slow down a little now. Or perhaps I've slowed down too much as the list still seems a little long with just one week left to prepare!
Tracy Altieri said…
We are not in our own home this Christams season (in between homes at the moment) and are staying with my mom in her tiny apartment. I do miss the familiarity of my own holiday decorations and traditions, and while I'm embracing "living in the moment", I am already looking forward to next Christmas!
John said…
How comes I still have not got presents wrapped or actually bought them all yet? Everyone says when you retire you'll wonder how you ever managed to fit everything in. It's true! Happy Christmas Caree!
Caree Risover said…
I think that we still all operate at top speed but get diverted - well, that's my excuse anyway
Caree Risover said…
I agree, it is hard to beat a traditional Christmas in your own home. When we have gone away in the past (usually because it was an easy time of the year for me to take a two week break) it was been very much with the aim of breaking tradition altogether and spending our time in a country that does not celebrate this time of year. Curiously when we suggested doing something similar this year, we were out-voted by our now adult children.
Debra Journet said…
I love the idea of Christmas Jumper Day!
Caree Risover said…
The great conundrum of retirement and now it's Christmas Eve and for the first time ever, I never got those cards written out and posted
Caree Risover said…
We all wear ours on Christmas Day too.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Good Riddance

Thank You but..