DIY Postscript




Nestbuilding on Mister E's part has continued unabated since the messy incident with the radiator. In fact it would be fair to say that heat radiates throughout the house as I type and for which I am truly grateful as the sun may be shining during the day but temperatures are plummeting at night; indeed it was only 3.5 degrees when I awoke this morning, not helped by a stiff northerly breeze.

However Mister E has hardly seemed to notice the cool air as he has toiled continuously and added to his achievements the fixing of a leaking shower and the felling of various dead trees and hedging that have failed to survive the long damp winter.

He has been so immersed that I decided to chance my luck in asking him to fix a broken drawer which even an appentice like myself could see required the insertion of new tacks or staples. He willingly took up the staple gun like a cudgel and attacked the drawer as I stood by appreciatively noting his handiwork. 

What is it about my presence? Staples sprayed across the room in my direction, attaching to my outer layers, pinging the flesh and causing me to jump, as well as fear that he was practising voodoo and I would soon be doing porcupine impressions.  Reader you will be well advised never to employ me as your gopher; jobs go wrong, and I potentially end up squealing.

Mister E, however, is not easily fazed. I was in the greenhouse when he appeared with a bucket and ladder. "I'm going to clean the guttering now," he announced, "Would you like to steady the ladder whilst I sluice them out?"

I may be a slow learner but I am not completely stupid. Stand at the bottom of a ladder whilst Mister E clears gunge out from a height above my head? I had a premonition of what might surely happen and declined the invitation.

Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
Yep, the guttering situation sounds like potential pure slapstick!
Jane said…
Slapstick combined with a broken arm or two!! However, it speaks to your husband's faith in you that he made that request!
Caree Risover said…
You understand then why I declined
Caree Risover said…
I'd never thought of looking at it that way

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver