Let Them Eat Cake



Listening to a radio news bulletin yesterday, I have to confess to a bout of salivating excitement. "Older people should eat cake, and cream, and chocolate," I heard.

For a brief moment I wondered if I was dreaming, somnolent amidst a Bake-Off fantasy land perhaps. However, a check of the day's newspapers confirmed that they were running the same story.

It's taken two hundred and twenty five years but Marie Antoinette's purported dismissal of the woes of the peasants has finally found a home.

In the past we have had reversals of the health advice pertaining to the consumption of eggs and butter, so why  not to cake (and cream and chocolate)?

Call me an optimist if you must, but I am still looking for an opportunity, in the interests of twenty first century science, to disprove one of the basic laws of life, namely that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Sadly this wasn't my golden moment. To benefit from this latest wisdom it seems that firstly you have to be over 65 and secondly be one of those who quite simply isn't eating enough. Darn, I'm ruled out on both counts.

Such is life that if I want to eat cake there is clearly no choice but to up the gym visits. Worse, I write this exhausted after 9 fitness classes since Monday and elbows that are screaming from overdoing the biceps curls. Trust me, to earn a slice of my 80th birthday cake I'll be the one who's still having to pump iron. Can I just say now that, as well as all the candles, it had better have chocolate and cream on top too. There has to be pay-back and proper reward for my agony.

Comments

Jane said…
You're not alone...I turn to exercise in order to justify a treat now and then though I try to make it fun like playing volleyball, going for hikes and riding my bike. But it takes up so much time that I'd rather be using for other things, like reading (not much exercise there...!) But I have READ that women of a certain age should carry a little extra weight which will serve them well in case of illness. Now if I could remember where I read that...
Caree Risover said…
I'll go with that (don't care where you read it)!
Stephanie Jane said…
I am still firmly of the opinion that Carrot Cake counts as one of my 5 a day - although it is necessary to eat quite a lot to actually get enough carrots ;-)
Tracy Altieri said…
I am tuning back into your blog for the first time in several months. Sorry to have been away so long! Life has been busy. I love your new look, which actually you may have had for a bit.

I may not crave cake, but I’d sure love to be given permission to eat more pizza!

My Retiring Life
Unknown said…
Hahaha - great reflection on the joys and pains that comes with a treat. We're all the same - trying to do all in moderation to avoid being slapped on the wrist. Hope you didn't do too many bicep curls that lifting the fork with cake perched ready for eating was too heavy!
Caree Risover said…
I think I could manage it!
Caree Risover said…
Welcome back - glad you like the revamp
Caree Risover said…
You can never do too many when there’s cake at the end!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia