Recommended Recovery Technique




Can I make a recommendation on the best way to recover from a long trip? Bizarrely: take another vacation!

At least that's what we've just done. We had a week at home where I resumed my gym class routine, caught up with administrative tasks and household chores. Then, 8 days after we'd returned from a summer month in New Zealand, we drove across the Pennines for a wintry week in the Lake District. 



Of course, as we always stay in the same place, it is a little bit of home from home and a place to relax and unwind. Well that was the theory when we were working, although I do wonder when I recall a week, in a period  between home-helps, that I had to take my ironing basket with me. The creased clothes may have been real but they were also a metaphor for the mental baggage that we conveyed back and forth with us too.

This month the limited time squeezed between trips forced me to complete the laundering. It's a task that's easier to accomplish in retirement without the obstruction caused by an office and a pile of case files to work on. Imagine, if working, even returning from one holiday to turn round 5 working days later and go off on another; it would never happen.


Planet Retirement however has its own rules and, ironing basket emptied, literally as well as metaphorically, we had a wonderful time out and about amidst the snowy majesty of the hills. I commend my photographs as evidence.





Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
These are such beautiful photographs! I almost miss 'proper' winter like this, as long as I can appreciate it in small doses before cosying myself up in a comfy armchair
Caree Risover said…
Yes, small doses are probably best although we are always disappointed if our winter week in the Langdale fails to deliver on the snow front and on this visit excelled ourselves with an 8.5 mile walk in snow showers; I'm not sure what we were thinking of and sometimes query my sanity when I hear myself tell people that it was actually rather enjoyable

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter