Keep Lifting

 

A US study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine attracted widespread coverage today. Whilst my Fitbit congratulates me for exceeding 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week, it seems that this accolade now comes with the ringing endorsement that coupling 2.5 hours of moderate to vigorous physical exercise with muscle strengthening potentially extends life.

That's good, as three times a week I combine a strength class with Zumba or HIIT, with swimmming and additional Pilates sessions thrown in for good measure. 150 minutes? Far, far more but then I am making up for lost time spent in an office or lounging on a sofa.

Obviously I'd like to think that muscular and aerobic activity could be a prominent feature of the whole of my retirement but I'm not entirely convinced by the prospect of continuing this routine into my eighties or beyond. Endorphins or not, the idea of moving from zimmer frame to press-ups is strangely fascinating. A definite challenge if anyone wants one. Moreover and if it really works, can it extend life indefinitely?

I prefer to think that the exercise I do now, is an investment for the future; increasing core strength and balance and enabling a healthier, fitter lifestyle in my advancing years. Whether it also results in an extension to my mortality, will I ever be in a position to know?

(Image by Peggy und Marco Lachmann-Anke from Pixabay)

 

Comments

Treaders said…
I'm dead impressed with the amount of exercise you do! I hate aerobics so avoid it like the plague, even though I don't mind weights. Still, I'm nowhere near your achievements - well done!
Caree Risover said…
Rubbish, I’ve read about your uphill walking (my pet hate with knee pain going up, knee pain coming down) so respect where it’s due, to you.
Great job on that exercise routine. You are well on your way to living to 100!
Caree Risover said…
LOL - might need that long to develop really toned abs!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Technophobia

Great British Bake Off