January Sales

 

Sale price tag
I've never been a great one for shopping although I imagine like most people I love a good deal or at least to believe that I am getting value for money. I suppose for that reason and in my previous pre-retirement life, the January Sales were always an opportunity to top up my wardrobe, linen chests and glassware too.

In retirement, I still detest shopping but my relationship with stuff has also altered. I now appreciate the importance of reducing rather than accumulating and in recent years have tried various tactics in the fight against extraneous collecting. 

In my wardrobe I dutifully embraced the "turn your coat hangers" method, with the intention that anything that had not been turned and therefore not worn would be recycled or donated at the end of a six month period. In so far as it worked, it was only with those items that I would probably have reduced in any event. I've also deployed the "one in, two out" system, but had to accept that buying a coat and jettisoning two socks in exchange was inevitably stretching the rules. 

Ultimately I retreated into a nerd like state from which I have clearly developed and devised a spreadsheet listing the items I would have in my ideal wardrobe against an inventory of those actually hanging there. Using it, I essentially prohibited all unnecessary purchases in the path from present to future. Awfully clinical, boringly logical but it is a system that has worked for me over the past couple of years.

However, and just when I was beginning to feel a trifle smug that I had actually cracked this decluttering lark I hit a hurdle and in my case it was indeed the January Sales. I didn't even intentionally set out to buy anything. In fact I only went into the outdoors shop to accompany the eldest on his mission to replenish his supply of climbing chalk. It was there, however, that I spotted them. They didn't actually have my name on them but they looked so comfortable I had to try them on.  I may not be Cinderella but Prince Charming would certainly have been in no doubt as to whom those hiking boots belonged. As for the price tag, I mean it would have been foolish, rude even, not to pick them up and take them to the till.

There is no defence. I already have a perfectly decent pair of boots albeit perhaps not as warm as I might like but a change of socks and that is easily remedied, so I can't use that as a legitimate excuse. No I have succumbed to the lure of marketing. I have added to my shoe rack, not reduced. My burden of stuff has become weightier but, you know what, they really were a bargain!



Comments

I am guilty of doing that as well, never can resist a good bargain. I will be writing about that in a post later on in the week!!
Caree Risover said…
Thanks Gill - it’s good to know that I am not alone
Treaders said…
I think a good pair of hiking boots is money well spent - especially at that price! When we had the heavy snow the other week I put on the "good" pair I bought on our day trip to Italy a couple of years ago and I had to admit I realized just how worth it the were! So warm and sturdy - money well spent, but also in the sales, thankfully!
Caree Risover said…
Thanks Treaders - I think all those thoughts went through my mind at the time, now I just need to walk in them to prove their worth.
I try to get rid of an older piece of clothing when I get a new one. It is hard to do sometimes. There are some really comfortable shirts that I struggle to get rid of even when they have been worn hard. This rule of one in and one out doesn't work to well with my book buying. I'll read and discard one book, but buy five the next time I hit a good thrift store bookshelf!
Caree Risover said…
Books, clothes, anything vaguely likely to have some potential use - so many of us seem to struggle. I even had a conversation this morning with my husband about whether we could find a use for a plastic box that washing tablets had come in. It seemed such a shame not to be able to do something with it!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge