Ready for R and R in Retirement


Some ten years ago,  Mister E and I bought a week's timeshare at a lodge on the Langdale Estate in the Lake District, overlooking the Langdale Beck. We enjoy our time there so much that a couple of years ago we decided to buy another week in January, determining that it would be a wonderful way to wind down from the after effects of Christmas  and the New Year, especially when we are retired.

Trouble is we are not yet retired and with three trips away in as many months, some intense hours have had to be worked to get here. Still at least I'm not an accountant because as the deadline for filing tax returns approaches, those in the office next door have certainly been working overtime too, and with another week to go are presumably still grinding away.

The Managing Director came to see me the day before I left. He wanted to know if I would be prepared to work for longer. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who always finds it hard to say no. However, and this is where keeping this blog and making those New Year's resolutions helped, I didn't succumb and instead intimated that I would think about it. 

So here in the peace and quiet of this beautiful National Park, I have been doing some thinking. I don't want to prolong the stress and pressure on me of getting work up to date in order to go on holiday or  of it haunting me whilst I am away. How much more relaxing my time here will be when I haven't set off in a mad rush after a week of panic and intense toil in the office. How much more relaxing my time here will be too when I don't have the shadow of a week's post and client problems building up and awaiting my return. How much more relaxing my time here will be when I don't feel obliged to interrupt my holiday by checking my work e-mails.

Saying yes wouldn't be for my benefit. It might make the MD's life easier but not mine.

Accordingly, I now know what my answer is going to be.  If for only that reason, this holiday has been worth it and next time we come, I should be retired!


Comments

John Brassey said…
Good luck with the retirement from a fellow retirement blogger.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Happy New Me

Keeping the Faith

Late, Even in Retirement