Retail Therapy




As part of the voluntary work that I am undertaking for Save the Children,  I have agreed to provide occasional cover for holiday absences in their local charity shop. Of course my cv falls well short of fitting the job description when the closest I have ever previously come to operating a till was a plastic cash register I used to play with as a child. It is a novel experience and it has certainly taught me never to underestimate the skills of the check-out staff in a supermarket again. 

A shop till these days is a sophisticated computer in its own right, with touch screen technology, flashing lights and a really scary card reader. Of course it can only  be operated whilst simultaneously wrapping the goods purchased, checking for forged notes, handing over the correct change and all the while making casual conversation with the customer whilst being on the look out for shop lifters and fraudsters. 

Variety is achieved by re-arranging or stacking shelves (the books are my favourites) or sorting through sacks of donated goods, pricing them and, in the case of clothes, steaming out the creases. As a treat I am occasionally permitted to cash up, carry the takings to the bank or even visit the newsagent to buy milk.

The target led workplace I have been used to has caused me to compete with myself as to the number of items I can sort and price and take a keen interest in the amount raised whilst on duty. Also, in case I really wanted some office nostalgia, I am again imbibing in an instant coffee at 11am rather than the daily americano with freshly ground beans that is a highlight of retirement.

After three and a half hours on  my feet, I inevitably return home fitter than when I left and with a greater understanding of the gossip on the high street. Moreover and despite the time spent in the shop, I do not go back laden down with shopping bags. Now that's retail therapy that even Mister E approves of.



Comments

Jane said…
Last year I found a spiffy top in one of the Save the Children charity shops while visiting the UK. We have many thrift shops here in Canada also but none have the cachet of a British shop :)
Caree Risover said…
Thank you for your support and yes, when sorting donations the back room is very particular about the standard of wares that can be re-sold and as a result of some generous donors there are some fantastic items - though I still prefer browsing the books!
Tracy Altieri said…
A few years back, I would cover for the owner of our local yarn shop (now closed) when she had errands to run, or days she had to be away. I loved playing "shop keeper", but was always nervous about having to ring up purchases, especially if a credit card was involved!
Caree Risover said…
Yes card payments (especially contactless ones) and checking banknotes against forgery are particularly exciting!
Debra Journet said…
It actually sounds fun. I sometimes dream of working in a bookstore--though not a big chain like Barnes and Noble. We actually have a lovely independent bookstore in Louisville but it's impractical for me as I would only want to work part time and we are away half the year. Plus I am not alone in my desire WP work there.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, the beauty of the voluntary work that I am doing is that it is completely flexible. Whilst I admire people who can commit to regular timetables for charity work and whose contributions are inevitably undervalued by society, commitment is impractical for me too.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter