Maths Underfoot


There were not many signs of Spring today when Mister E and I did an 8 mile circular walk in the Yorkshire Dales, although at least the gorse was in bloom.  We had sunny spells interrupted by hailstorms, meaning that much of the time I was well huddled inside my coat.

I recall some 11 months ago making a blog entry about walking my way to fitness and am pleased to record that things are definitely moving in the right direction. That said I am sure that, like yesterday, conditions today were probably more conducive to staying in with a good book than tramping along muddy tracks. 


One of the books that I have been dipping in and out of lately is "17 Equations that Changed the World," by Ian Stewart. It is in essence a chronological account of mathematics and its role in the evolving world, where everything seems capable of being traced back to an appropriate mathematical equation.

I wondered, therefore, whether it would be possible to write an equation identifying the formula for optimum fitness by walking. In other words, how much distance must I cover before I reach my full potential? Mister E wouldn't be drawn on it and in the absence of a cold bath and Archimedes, an apple orchard and Isaac Newton, I guess I shall just have to keep on walking. Presumably I shall know when I reach my destination


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Technophobia

Good Riddance