At the Weekend

 

(Image by messersrach from Pixabay)

The results of a YouGov survey published last month demonstrated an intriguing difference between the generations when describing a forthcoming weekend. It seems that under 40's refer to it as "this weekend" and over 50's as "next weekend" with those between 40 and 50 being equally divided as to how best to define it.

Whoever is it that dreams up these surveys? But, having done so, what on earth can be going on here, apart from the confusion? Despite falling into the older age bracket, it seems that I am in a minority of 50 pluses who would allude to "this weekend" when their contemporaries say "next weekend" instead. I'd like to think it's because I remain young at heart but it's probably that I'm so accustomed to making arrangements with my offspring that I adopt their language. 

Is it actually the case that younger people, busy at work or with young families, see the weekend as within their grasp and, eager to move onto and enjoy it, view it as closer than their elders do?Ascribing "this" as the determiner, its proximity is assured.

By contrast, in retirement, are we subconsciously seeking to slow down the passage of time and thus see the weekend as a distant offering that follows a calm timetable of personally chosen activity? Using the term "next weekend" to depict a time period only a couple of days hence, suggests an extended week stretching before us in the interim.

Any opinions or did YouGov just pick an odd sample of people to put its strange survey to?

 

 


Comments

Treaders said…
Ha ha, makes me wonder how much money YouGov spent on that ridiculous survey!
Caree Risover said…
Too much, whatever it cost!
Jean said…
At least there is unlikely to be any confusion over which was "last weekend"!
To me the imminent weekend will be "this weekend" and "next weekend" would be the one after that.
Caree Risover said…
You’d think not, Jean, except when I looked at the breakdown of the results there are a small number of people across all age groups who manage to refer to last weekend as this weekend too.
Jean said…
Oh dear! Best be very careful if I am going to book a weekend away!!
Marksgran said…
Who'd have thought there was such confusion over a weekend?! I'd say this weekend for the one imminently and next weekend for the one after - I think!!
Caree Risover said…
Exactly what I do, Marksgran and so does Jean. YouGov clearly asked the wrong people!
Jennyff said…
I’m with you and Jean, except us retirees hardly notice whether it’s the weekend or the week, we hardly know what day it is anyway. Let’s hope that doesn’t trigger another pointless survey.
Caree Risover said…
Good point Jennyff and, if it does, I'll be most upset if they ask me as I hate getting the answer wrong.
I’m well over 50 and I say “this weekend”. Always have.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for that, It seems nobody commenting here is yet to agree with the survey’s findings!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge