Now He Tells Me




We have been back at home for 10 days and save for a slow walk to the Parish Council's noticeboard which now comes under my charge, I have not been out. Indeed I spent the first 4 days in bed, which has to be some kind of record for me exceeding, I suspect, even the time spent there with measles in my childhood. 

The last time I recall being knocked sideways by a cold like this one, it originated abroad too, in that case by way of present from Baku in Azerbaijan. Whilst I would normally consider myself to be a fit and healthy specimen of humanity, unfortunately it seems that I must concede that such immunity as I possess is of no effect against foreign viruses.

This has caused a slight hiccup to plans for December, as we have stripped our study ready to decorate. We are now on a very tight schedule to complete the job so that the books, paper and other paraphernalia now spread all over our living and dining rooms, can be safely returned, together with the new furniture, currently resident in the hall, all before the eldest and youngest join us for Christmas.

If that wasn't bad enough, there is also the tricky issue of Christmas shopping. Hooray for the Internet, however, and whilst it seemed to take far longer than browsing the real shelves, I have avoided the strains of traffic jams, parking and overloading myself with packages to do it all online yesterday afternoon. It is a shame that I forgot the Christmas cards and wrapping paper but am counting on a full recovery before final posting dates.


I had assumed that Mister E's failure to succumb to the same virus must have been attributable to his flu vaccination and was kicking myself for not having such myself. However, he has now confessed that he was also given a "super jab" by the doctor, available from the NHS when you attain the age of 65. My investigations (again online) have revealed that what he was given was PPV or pneumococcal polysaccahride vaccine which is a single one off injection giving long term protection against some 23 strains of the pneumococcal bacterium. I have a few years to wait  but, in the meantime, would urge anyone who does qualify to make sure they get this jab, especially if they are intending to travel abroad. Mister E is certainly living proof of its effectiveness for I am yet to hear him sneeze.




Comments

Tracy Altieri said…
Oh dear! I do hope that you are recovered! December can be crazy enough without adding illness to it! Be well!
Caree Risover said…
Thank you Tracy - yes I got out and about today and bought the wrapping paper and Christmas cards, at last. I now feel that Christmas really is happening, however crazily!
Debra Journet said…
I have had that PPV and I still get a flu shot every year. So far, knock on wood, I haven't succumbed. Take care and don't rush getting up and about; you will probably get better quckly that way.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Thank You but..

Happy New Me

Keeping the Faith