Gardening Woes



I have finally planted my vegetable patch after first giving priority to the flower borders. Save for onions and potatoes which are growing rapidly, it is currently a mass of neatly groomed earth hopefully nursing seeds that will shortly break through the surface.

When working I had to put up with most temperatures in order to tend the plot, drawing the line only at digging in the rain. In retirement I was, therefore, looking forward to the scope to spend my weekdays in the garden. Now either the weather has been particularly cold and windy this year or alternatively I am becoming very choosy but this week I have had to pull myself up short, don a fleece and get out there after realising that if I wait for the thermometer to hit the mid teens (celsius) and the sun to shine too, I might never get all my seeds sown.

Now they are in, it would be easy to imagine that I have induced a state of heat and drought to descend upon the North East of England. However, after studying the long range weather forecast this seems very unlikely at the present time, and I anticipate being spared the joys of heaving watering cans from butt to vegetable patch for some time yet.


Comments

Debra Journet said…
I am successfully keeping my flower beds alive. I have just put in a border of annuals in ground that hadn't yet been planted. If they survive, I will try to put perennials in next year. Just wanted to see if the soil worked before investing the money. I am also growing a small herb garden. Trying to decide if I want to build another bed from scratch. It would be a lot of work, and kind of iffy, but I am sort of wanting something that is mine. I am not growing vegetables yet. The growing season is just so short here.
Caree Risover said…
Yes gardens are a lot of work but retirement certainly means I keep the hoe moving more than I used to and therefore the weeds suppressed. I'm now at a point where, after 15 years creating my garden, I have a reasonable idea as to what will and will not grow (although the vagaries of the British climate always throws up a surprise or two) and I now generally divide and replant established perennials rather than sow annuals. Herbs are great though; they seem to thrive regardless, but I'd love to be able to curtail the mint!!
Caree Risover said…
Yes gardens are a lot of work but retirement certainly means I keep the hoe moving more than I used to and therefore the weeds suppressed. I'm now at a point where, after 15 years creating my garden, I have a reasonable idea as to what will and will not grow (although the vagaries of the British climate always throws up a surprise or two) and I now generally divide and replant established perennials rather than sow annuals. Herbs are great though; they seem to thrive regardless, but I'd love to be able to curtail the mint!!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Fatigued

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Technophobia