Relax, It's Christmas
- Cut back on the gift list (or try Secret Santa instead) and stick to consumables rather than trying to find the perfect present
- Only do essential cleaning; nobody is going to measure the dust in your house and subdued lighting will hide it
- Don't send cards if you don't have time; consider telephoning friends instead
- Restrict your decorations to a tree and one or two special pieces (vases of flowers or seasonal pot-pourri)
- Factor in plenty of time for yourself in the run up to your celebrations
- If you really have reached the nirvana of being totally chilled out about the whole thing, take yourself away for a long weekend just before
- Whilst Christmas may have appropriated the date of a pagan festival, it was never intended to be a mass consumer orgy and never forget, to quote from Robert Browning, "Less is more"
- Remember too that Christmas is a time for celebrating the birth of a child, yet the world is full of children suffering because they are in the wrong place, disabled, a refugee, from a minority group or even because they are a girl. Reach out to help every last child.