Use It or Lose It



There seems to be a general acceptance that as we age, we grow weaker and frailer. Indeed research suggests that it is not uncommon for us to lose up to 8% of our muscle mass each decade from the age of 30. Try telling that to the trainer at the gym who has just re-set my new workout programme and now has little me lifting 10 kgs. 

"It will get easier," he has promised. Although to be honest I am more persuaded by his intimation that it will change my body shape. Who says you can't develop abs after 50?

National guidelines on physical activity recommend that, in order to stay healthy, adults should undertake at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity a week as well as strength exercises on at least two days a week. However, a report published by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists last week, concludes from a survey it commissioned that almost a quarter of over 65's do no strengthening activities at all, leaving them prone to the risk of falls and ill-health. Moreover 34% of those approaching retirement (aged 55-64) miss the target too.

Bearing in mind that the Society suggests that gardening and carrying shopping bags help to keep us in shape, it is hard to understand why so many are failing to meet the criteria set out in the guidelines. If there was ever a time to switch from buying cuppa soup and tea bags to potatoes and two litre bottles of milk, it is clearly in retirement.

Comments

Jane said…
Oh good, I carried a grocery bag in each hand yesterday as well as filling my backpack :) though I'm sure I need to do more resistance training. I started back to volleyball yesterday and play a total of 6 hours/week and spend 30 minutes daily using a yoga app. Also hike and bike a lot. But none of that is weight training. I do have some free weights in the basement but find that sort of thing boring - I guess grocery bags will have to do.
Tracy Altieri said…
I worked out quite religiously until we moved to a small town with no organized gym or activities. It is now up to me, and I'm pretty much failing at it. I have finally gotten in the habit however, of wearing my Fitbit every day, and not just when I know that I'm going to be doing some walking!
Caree Risover said…
You've suddenly made me feel very tired, but well done you!
Caree Risover said…
I confess that I find exercise much easier and more pleasurable when I have to commit to joining other people perhaps to walk or by signing up to a fitness class. When I'm left to self motivate, I frequently find something more important to do.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith