The Effect of the Sun




Just like last year, Spring sunshine makes a sudden and unexpected appearance and I get an urge to declutter. I sometimes think that it's a shame I don't live nearer the Equator because with more sunshine, I really could get this job tackled. Or perhaps I wouldn't because when it comes to reducing stuff, I truly suffer from complete indecisiveness.

Take today when I discovered that I own three pairs of brown shoes, none of which I have actually worn since I retired. Nevertheless I convinced myself that I should retain at least one pair, but which was it to be? I tried on them all. There was a comfortable but slightly worn couple, a very elegant but tighter twosome, and a polished and, if I recall correctly, expensive pair.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. 

Talk about procrastination. In the end I persuaded myself I would be best served by retaining all three, or would I?

Then Mister E appeared and I explained my dilemma. "That's easy," he said, "Give away all of them!"

I was astounded. This from the man whose old clothes have to be holed, stained and discoloured before he accepts their best use is as a rag.

Maybe I sounded a little whining as I explained that I did need to keep one pair just to match the brown handbag that I haven't used since retiring either and who knows when brown accessories may be just what I need. 

"In that case," he advised dispassionately pointing with his index finger, "You should keep those; they look the best."

Talk about taste, maybe I should deploy Mister E as my personal guru a little more often, as he had correctly identified the expensive pair. It was after all a decision I can live with and the collection designated for the charity shop was duly added to.

In the meantime the sun has been affecting Mister E too. No he hasn't taken to sorting his wardrobe. Instead the golden rays seem to bring out the engineer in him. So today was the day he drained our central heating system and then couldn't refill it because of an almighty airlock and/or accumulation of sludge. Maybe in retrospect I ought to have encouraged him to have gone to that Activated Sludge Conference before we retired.

Instead I can only hope that the sun stays around a bit longer, otherwise we'll have no heating and no primeval urge to fix it!


Comments

Linda said…
Keep the most comfortable pair if it appears it will hold up for awhile.
Caree Risover said…
Sound advice, but you have me dithering again!
Pat WD said…
LOL. So I still have about 15 pairs of black pants from when I was working... last fall I tried them all one to see if I could get rid of some. And of course, they all fit and they are all slightly different and I might still have a reason to wear them. And they all went back into the closet and haven't been out since. I will not go into how many pairs of pumps I have (black and beyond)... so I can totally relate to this dilemma. Hubby won't go near the topic as he's got a huge number of running and hiking and know-around footwear! I have not idea as his are hidden all over - yup, under bed storage I just found in the guest bedroom! Oh well...maybe this year I'll declutter some more clothes.
Caree Risover said…
Our intentions are there, though!
Stephanie Jane said…
We're decluttering again for the third house move in six years and I am again bewildered at how we managed to accumulate so much stuff since the last time!
Caree Risover said…
When we last moved I suggested putting our home straight on the market in the belief that, in anticipation of potential viewers, it would be the only way we might keep it tidy and uncluttered. Twenty years later, I'm left thinking that it would have been an excellent strategy.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith

Happy Easter