A Grounding Experience




In light of the hot sunny weather, Wednesday morning's Yoga classes have moved outdoors. Forget wobbling in the studio, as an alternative I can wobble outside.

The strange thing is either all those physiotherapy exercises have really worked or connecting to the Earth isn't as far fetched as we might think. Either way, bare feet, uneven lawn, the branches of a large oak tree above with its dense foliage filtering the sunlight, birds singing, insects hovering and amidst it all I can suddenly hold a very elementary version of the tree pose.

I have to confess to feeling relieved as a result. So much is now known about the need for both muscle strength and balance to aid mobility, prevent falling and preserve independence as we age that I have even been practising standing on one leg whilst cleaning my teeth. Don't try it, toothpaste inevitably ends up dripping down the front of whatever you are wearing!

No from now on I am happy to draw my inspiration from trees that live for hundreds of years and, like their roots, dig my toes down into the ground.

 

Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
Love the idea of outdoor yoga :-)
It's something I need to get back into doing as I'm starting to notice a few creaky joints
Caree Risover said…
Definitely better outside and you don't hear those creaky joints as much against the birdsong

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off