Road Ahead Closed

Image by Positive_Images from Pixabay
Now that summer is here, the County Council has taken to mending the roads, causing chaos and diversions. My morning schedule has recently been disrupted by a road closure necessitating a doubling in the length of my journey to and from the gym.

Whereas this might have been tantamount to a total meltdown of sanity in my pre-retirement life, in the parallel universe that I now inhabit it has proven to be excellent news. 

No, of course I have not forsaken the exercise classes as the cynics amongst you may have assumed. Rather I have travelled early before the roadblock has been set up, meaning that I have undertaken a 30 minute workout before my first class. Then, at the end of the morning, I have taken the leisurely detour home along winding country lanes, enjoying the wild flowers on the verges, the farmers beginning to cut the hay in the fields and an overriding sense of both achievement and calmness. 

There really is no downside to adopting a positive outlook. In fact I've wallowed in the pleasure of the disruption so much that I'm now considering making an earlier start part of my regular routine not to mention returning by a leafier route instead of the main road. 

 

Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
I'm applauding your wonderfully positive way of making road works a good thing in your daily routine! Long may they last?
Caree Risover said…
The new me: in an effort to bury the cynic, I am striving to be positive about everything. I suspect the roadworks could last longer than my struggle!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off