It Wasn't Quite Amsterdam




I've just got back from another brief trip to London prompted by winning an opportunity to watch Alan Titchmarsh in conversation with Konnie Huq. Now it's not normally the kind of event that I would necessarily seek out to attend. However, as somebody who has waited until retirement to win something better than an Infant School Art Competition, some swimming certificates and the odd box of chocolates in a raffle, I felt honour bound to accept the prize.



Staying overnight beforehand with the youngest, I had a morning free in London by myself until meeting a friend who was to be my plus one. It was a dry day, so I took the opportunity to visit St Katharine's Docks and from there walk along the canal, wharfs, and edge of the Thames to Limehouse Basin. Save for a brief visit to The Dickens Inn just after it had opened in the late 1970's and the docks were only at the beginning of their renovation, it is not an area of London I know at all.


Once you leave behind the restaurants at St Katharine's Dock it is primarily residential in character and a delight to wander through. Whilst the canalside, with a backdrop of the Shard and Tower Bridge, bore no resemblance to Amsterdam, I was wowed by the sympathetic redevelopment with wharfside flats conveying many of the architectural features of the original dock buildings.





Later, meeting up at the Troxy, my friend and I were both bowled over by what is a beautiful Art Deco building. Originally the largest cinema in England, no expense was spared in its construction and having been given a congruous make-over only 5 years ago, it really is a magnificent example of a 1930's construction.

Now I don't want to detract from the performance itself; listening to somebody recall his Yorkshire childhood, love of onions and encounters with the Queen was certainly entertaining. However, and you can call me strange if you want to, the highlight of the trip without a doubt  was definitely the edifices.

Comments

Treaders said…
Again I guess we have a lot in common. I would go out of my way to go see Alan Titchmarsh too. He's just got something!
Caree Risover said…
And the friend who accompanied me even described him as “the thinking woman’s crumpet”!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge