The Wild Life

 


We have returned from a week in the Lake District, primarily spent walking. It seemed very busy, overflowing with all those people who would in other circumstances have been in France or on the Costa del Sol. With heavy rain before and during our visit, there was no easy escape, only sodden hills with poor visibility. Instead everyone was on the lower walks; a vast melting pot of individuals from all over the UK and even the world I assume from listening to some of the languages spoken. 


 You really wouldn't expect social distancing in the countryside to be so difficult; after all we have been practising it quite successfully in our own local area since March. To see a total disregard for the personal space of others, however, was something of an eye-opener, although the youngest just shrugged and advised me it has been the same in London for weeks. I can well imagine after dropping down into the village of Grasmere at one point. The pavements were heaving and cafes appeared to be doing a roaring trade although I couldn't be tempted. Despite all the hype about reopening safely, there didn't seem to be any more distance between tables than on our previous pre-Covid visit.

I confess the safest place we found there and the prime reason for our detour were the scrupulously clean public toilets with entry through a turnstile after contactless payment. I mention it only because that was a first: paying to use the WC with a credit card!



Of course there were quiet moments. Sitting on our balcony watching the water flow down the beck (perhaps not so quiet when it broke its banks with all the rain water) or walking in the woods, where it was so peaceful that we heard a green woodpecker before seeing him. I know it's wonderful that people who wouldn't normally visit such a beautiful part of our country took the opportunity to do so this year but I do like having my own little corners of it to myself. I understand that all the visitors are helping to boost the ailing hospitality sector but I still resent being squashed against stone walls to let great big Chelsea tractors squeeze down lanes that were never created to accommodate them.

Returning home, I am pleased to report that the Brussels sprouts are surviving and the caterpillar population remains under control with the help of a little hand-picking. Yet, just when you think you have sorted one problem it appears again in another form: herbivorous crickets! 

 

At least I had the foresight to pick our apples before we departed because, as anticipated, the wasps moved into the few I left during our absence and are now making a darned nuisance of themselves as they buzz around in a drunken cider haze.

Oh and have I mentioned that enormous spider that jumped out of my bath towel last night and made me scream?

Who would have thought that a pandemic could give me both agoraphobia and entomophobia simultaneously? Either that or I'm turning into a grumpy old woman.




Comments

Treaders said…
Oh my goodness, I think I last went to the Lake District when I was 15 - and I'm 62 now. But I have such wonderful memories of it. However, from what you've written I suspect I may be living in an idyllic past!
Caree Risover said…
Nothing can take away its beauty but we much prefer our out of season visits
Jennyff said…
Be interesting to see, if life ever returns to how it was pre pandemic, if people continue to visit UK resorts in such numbers. Our little Yorkshire town has been over run with visitors, not all respectful and some have brought problems of litter, drink and drug use. We are becoming such a crowded island, we need to share and care it better.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, everyone is certainly flocking to the countryside this summer (and looking at cottage bookings, autumn too). On the one hand, I resent sharing all those quiet places we have visited regularly, on the other it is good that some people are finally getting to see some of our most beautiful areas. Fortunately I’ve not seen evidence of littering first hand yet, but am purposefully avoiding the real hotspots.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter