Sea-Saw

 


 Today we saw the sea, for the first time in over a year. 

My last sighting had been on our trip to Cyprus last year, whilst Mr E had made a quick dash to Crinan to mothball the retirement project just before the first lockdown was implemented. Since then it's been all fields, trees, and grass in varying shades of green and brown.

What a contrast to be surrounded by blue. 

It was a glorious day. With gale force winds forecast, we thought we might find the coast quiet and were not disappointed. In the event the huge cliffs around the bay at Saltburn and then at Sandsend seemed to keep out the worst of the wind and the sea was surprisingly calm.


 There was no haze or drizzle to spoil the view southwards to Whitby and the abbey.

In fact we found several brave souls in shorts; some with feet in the water. I had gone dressed for the worst in thermal-lined winter trousers and a heavy duty coat that I wear for cold walks on the hills. I didn't quite get down to shorts but I did lose a couple of layers strolling along beside the sand as the thermometer hit 17 degrees and the tide its highest point.

The breeze was from a southerly direction; it was warm on the face as it blew a year's cobwebs away. Watching the waves lap in and out, it was easy to understand why the Victorians advocated the healing powers of the salty sea air and built piers to enjoy the health benefits. Lockdown restrictions have produced  a see-saw of emotions over the last 12 months but suddenly I feel robust and full of energy again.




Comments

Marksgran said…
I love Crinan so much! In fact I said to hubby last week, the first thing we're doing when we can leave our local area is going a day trip to Crinan! I love the drive there. It's so scenic and once you get there its so peaceful. It's a nice place to have a boat I should think. We have lots of bluebells in our garden too and I just love them. x
Caree Risover said…
Crinan is beautiful but a real problem for us now with the restrictions and when there was a short period of coinciding relaxation in England and Scotland last year, there was inevitably a real shortage of accommodation denying any chance of getting her in order to launch off.
Treaders said…
The sea air has such invigorating qualities doesn't it. While it's beautiful round here we ain't got the sea! But I did just go out for a 10k walk with a lady from my sewing club today. It was a beautiful day but we were also stripping off as we walked because the weather was so glorious. It doesn't take much to cheer you up after a year of lockdown does it!
Caree Risover said…
Not much at all really but it feels like such a lot.
Jennyff said…
I’m sure that trip made a huge difference to your well-being, I hope you bottled some of the air. I’ve already started dreaming of a day at the beach, though I might have to settle for the plastic pool in the garden and maybe a bag of Mr FF’s building sand
Caree Risover said…
I think that’s called your own private beach - I like it.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver