Overwhelmed

 

I've been feeling somewhat overwhelmed for the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if I've been overdoing everything or if the Covid Lockdown pace of life means I can never juggle all those balls in the air again. I even logged in to a live online lecture in an effort to unravel the mystery of  Embracing Your Limits. Apparently it's all about living in the moment, accepting our limitations and just enjoying that ‘we are’ without pushing ourselves unduly. Trouble is I go all out horizontal and there's still a pile of chores and administrative tasks to be completed when I return to reality, not to mention a blog entry or two to be written. 

Perhaps the secret is to zone out permanently forgetting the present as well as the past and future, living in some kind of alternative reality. However, when retirement is already that alternate existence, it seems a bit extreme to be looking for another one. There again I'm not sure that anybody has said there's a limit to the number of parallel universes you can hop between.

Generally, of course, I've been more than satisfied with Planet Retirement and guess it's just the lack of sustained summer weather that's been affecting me, along with rather too much on that ever-growing To Do List.

I don't think having young plants that I'd gently nurtured from seed devoured by field mice helped my general mood of despondency and whilst another visit from the Eldest and Dilly lifted the spirits it, of course, added to the workload.

Too busy trying to tick everything off before I can properly start living;  endless chores impeding leisure time;  I've been caught up on the hamster wheel that I'd thought I'd left behind in the office. Ah well, today it spun so fast, it kicked me off and I'm back in the present feeling smug and satisfied with completion of today's chores, buoyed by booking a trip to see the Youngest and even time to catch up here again. Can life be sweeter?

(Image by Peggy und Marco Lachmann-Anke from Pixabay)

 

 

Comments

Jennyff said…
I seem so far to have lived a ‘jam tomorrow’ life, always work to do before the good times begin and now I am 73. I love being retired, couldn’t contemplate working again, but it’s not exactly what I imagined which is my own fault with some influence from the other half who still thinks we need to save for a rainy day. We don’t have the energy we used to but still have the same exceptions of ourselves, in our house often the main topic of conversation is how tired we are when it should be how fortunate we are, your post has reminded me of that so thank you.
Caree Risover said…
I believe a daily gratitude list is recommended as part of the ritual of living in the present, but as yet I’ve never got beyond a mental recognition of what I’m grateful for, because when it comes to writing lists I think my To Do List is long enough! Perhaps it’s time to experiment further!
I've found retirement to have a lot of ups and downs. On a bad day, I'm stressed and feel behind on chores as you mentioned. On a good day, I tell myself this is what retirement is all about! Sometimes it is hard to be in the moment but when I concentrate on little bits of joy I am never disappointed. Recently little moments include watching my 3 year old granddaughter be amazed at doodle bugs and collecting small sticks and rocks. She seems to bring a lot of "in the moment" joy to me on a daily basis.
Caree Risover said…
Exactly, and of course there really is no reason why every day of retirement should be chore free and care free but your granddaughter sounds a delightful source to help it to feel so.
Treaders said…
I know exactly what you mean - maybe we all do, honestly - but your statement "Too busy trying to tick everything off before I can properly start living" would seem to apply to me 100%! I have finally realized that I can leave things till tomorrow (so that's a plus) but it is so difficult to live in the "now" too. I tried reading The Power of Now but almost died of boredom. Maybe I should give it another shot!
Caree Risover said…
Trouble is those things are still there tomorrow too and, when I’m overwhelmed by them, the next day and beyond as well! So sometimes I just have to accept they are not important and they are never going to be done (at least not any time soon) or alternatively grit my teeth and get stuck in.
I'm so glad that you got "off the wheel!"
Caree Risover said…
Was getting dizzy
JaySea said…
My motto in retirement is from the John Lesson's Song "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round 'n round, I just love to watch them roll.." I had a very active profession as a registered nurse--worked for 45 years in the field--and am now able to rest + not be rushed anymore...I'm appreciating all the little things in Life...JaySea
Caree Risover said…
I admire your approach and joy, JaySea. Sometimes I’m afraid I retire as hard as I worked and miss those little things which, as you rightly point out, is one of the big pleasures of retired life.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver