Head Over Heels

 

I took this photo  on a visit to Carlisle a few years ago. Had it a little more red and blue on the face, it would share a remarkable resemblance to how I look, at the moment!

Yes, on Friday I continued this year's predilection for hospital visits and found myself back in the hospital waiting room nursing a litany of cuts, grazes, bruises and friction blisters. I think it counts as a sports injury sustained, as it was, on returning home from the gym when I decided to try a nose-dive from my front doorstep. The varifocal glasses I was wearing (and the undoubted cause for this latest attempt at self-destruction) dug hard into my face as I planed across the drive, swallowing grit and ultimately, as I lay recovering my breath and shivering with shock, dripping in blood.

Three days later, I look as though I've only just survived a couple of rounds in a boxing ring with swelling above the left eye and a blister beneath reducing my vision and giving me a very definite street fighter appearance. 

As you can imagine, my Google search engine has been working overtime checking out falls and varifocals. Whilst it's well established that falling is the most common cause of injury related death in the over 75's, I honestly wasn't aware of the extent to which varifocals play a part in falling at all ages. I've been wearing them for driving and often out and about for 12 years or more. Although I recall tripping over the kerb when I first wore them and again with a new pair after a prescription change, I can honestly say I have had no issues. However, it seems that even when I was collecting my first pair there had been studies demonstrating that they can increase the risk of falling by 40% and, whilst I'm not quite there yet, apparently 1 in 3 people over the age of 65 fall at least once a year.

Having worked so hard in Pilates and Yoga to improve my balance which is hindered by degeneration in the knees, I'd never given my spectacles a second thought. Unfortunately I am being denied the opportunity to wreak vengeance by taking a hammer to them as they were damaged beyond repair in the course of my tumble, but I won't be rushing out to say say a fond farewell when our bins are next collected. Of course I still need to use varifocals for driving; my spare pair or indeed any replacement, however, will remain permanently in the car from now on.

 

 

Comments

Treaders said…
Oh my goodness, not again!!! You don't get a free pizza at the hospital after 5 trips you know!!! But joking apart, I'm so sorry. I hope you're at least starting to feel a little better now! I only use glasses for reading but on the rare occasion I've left them on to walk around I know I'd be ripe for a fall too (and they're not varifocals)! Take care and have your hubbie wait on you hand and foot for a while!
Caree Risover said…
Thanks and of course I can hardly believe it myself but I must surely be getting close to an invitation to the department Christmas Party. Varifocals are great for allowing me to see the dashboard as well as the road ahead when I’m behind the wheel of the car. Sadly they are not so effective at distinguishing the height of a step!
Jennyff said…
Sorry about your fall, sounds horrible. I too wear varifocals and I’m going to be extra careful as I approach 74 because the odds will be stacked against me keeping upright. Hope you are soon recovered and not back at the hospital for a very long time.
Caree Risover said…
I shocked myself in discovering how bad a fall can be. It was nothing like my occasional stumbles and slips on uneven ground, and on the basis of injuries sustained (no breaks or head trauma) I guess it only counts as a minor incident!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter