Tax Avoidance


Tax avoidance seems to be in vogue at the moment, certainly in certain quarters of elite society.

Not to be outdone and since my last blog entry, I have:

  1. Participated in 5 Pilates, 6 Yoga, 2 Strength, 2 Abs, 3 HIIT and 2 Zumba classes;
  2. Been swimming twice;
  3. Met friends for lunch on 3 occasions;
  4. Prepared for and clerked a Parish Council meeting, typing up the minutes afterwards;
  5. Met a friend for a walk along the escarpment at the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors;
  6. Spent a week staying and walking in the Langdale Valley in the Lake District;
  7. Met up with my Sketchbook Group;
  8. Knitted a baby blanket and a couple of new born size hats;
  9. Kept up my regular visits to Mum;
  10. Read 2 books and started to follow various TV series (the latter is a complete novelty for me);
  11. Attended a meeting and to administration as a charity trustee;
  12. Acquired a steam carpet cleaner and set it to use throughout the house somewhat vigorously;
  13. Talked to all and sundry on the phone and face to face;
  14. Started a big clear out of what was the eldest's bedroom;
  15. Enjoyed a complete digital detoxification; 

all whilst undertaking my usual household chores.

And that dear friends is not so much tax avoidance (I didn't owe anything) as procrastination. I swear filling in that form every year just brings untold sweat and anxiety which I confess circumvention and delay doesn't exactly appease. Bureaucracy and retirement make unhappy bed fellows, at least in my case. However, it's done now with days to spare and I'm back to blogging once more whilst vowing yet again to get the darned thing out of the way before autumn begins next time.

 

 

Comments

Bob Lowry said…
Heavens, I am exhausted reading how busy you have been. Your tax return process must be quite a core. I use Turbo Tax but don't look forward to the whole process, either.
Caree Risover said…
To be honest Bob, compared to all the energy I put into avoiding completion of my return, logging on and entering my details were actually a doddle!
Jean said…
That is an impressive selection of distraction activities!
It's gobsmacking how some of our esteemed (or not) leaders have got away with things that us ordinary mortals would be penalised for.
Caree Risover said…
And it continues: not the distraction techniques but the never-ending spiral of corruption
Treaders said…
Wow I'm dead impressed. And to think I was feeling smug for going back to the gym after about three weeks!!! As for Zahawi - man they make me sick. I saw in the papers that he started with "having come here as a refugee and not speaking a word of English"!!! Give me a break. Good for you that you did well, but that doesn't take away from what you did/fiddled!
What a busy time you have had! I bet the walks were nice.
Caree Risover said…
Yes Treaders - nothing in that letter of response to the sacking that even acknowledged, let alone apologised for, his misdemeanours. As for my fiddling, I even contemplated picking up the youngest's old violin and learning to play at one point - anything, just anything to avoid the task in hand.
Caree Risover said…
I think getting outside at this time of the year (especially if you get some sunshine) always gives so much pleasure, Retirement Coffee Shop.
Cathy said…
And you were worried over how you’d fill in your retirement days😊

Our accountant earned his pot of gold even after our retirement- only way to go (for us)
Caree Risover said…
To be truthful Cathy, my return has been getting simpler year on year and even I don't understand my aversion to logging on and completing it. My prevarication is totally unnecessary but has the advantage of spurring me into a whirlwind of alternative activity until and in panic mode I finally succumb to the looming 31st January deadline, turn my computer on and finalise it relatively quickly.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia