Stroking Birds' Tails

 

A sparrow

What I really love about retirement are the opportunities to take up so many new challenges. Today was no exception when I participated in my first session of Tai Chi. It may be classed as a martial art but judo it is not. When the instructor asked if anyone had any previous experience, a friend volunteered that she had watched Kung Fu Panda. Unsurprisingly he told her that would not help!

Instead it was an hour of weight shifting, stroking sparrows' tails and turning large imaginary balls between our hands, all to a soundtrack of birds singing.  I entered the studio with no preconceptions (I didn't even know if we were meant to wear shoes or not) and left it calm but enthused. 

Lesson 2 is on Friday. Somehow I doubt if we shall progress to exercising with weapons which I understand can include spears, sabres and fans. Instead the emphasis is on learning a set sequence of moves, working with internal energy whilst slowing the mind, breath and movement of limbs.

As we get older, some people are drawn to anti-ageing products. Personally, I'm allured by any exercise routine that markets itself as good for arthritis, blood pressure, balance and flexibility. Of course, a spear would be good too, but I suspect it might be sometime before I'm even allowed a bird's feather, let alone a live sparrow.

 

Comments

I've never tried Tai Chi, but it sure sounds interesting. Although I'd think I'd prefer it without the spear...ha!
Caree Risover said…
Definitely safer without, at least in my case!
Treaders said…
I tried it years ago (in my 20s) and was bored to tears. Somehow I think I was probably doing it wrong so maybe it would be worth giving it another shot!
Caree Risover said…
Leaving Lesson 2 today, and still hooked, a few of us nonetheless concurred that even 5 years ago it would probably have felt too slow and unfulfilling to continue with, so I understand where you were coming from in your twenties, Treaders. Not sure now if it’s because the body is ageing or I’ve acquired a level of calm, patience and time in retirement but it does seem to hit a need. I even find the meditative part suits better than in Yoga, mainly I think because standing for it, I daren’t let my mind wander too far or I might fall over!
Lewis Edwards said…
The huge changes in lifestyle that retirement brings can spark questions about our purpose and how we should focus our time and energy. That’s why nourishing our spiritual and physical health is so important to retire happy.
Caree Risover said…
Thank you for commenting Lewis. I do think nourishing our health is important at every stage of life but it definitely can be of particular significance as we age
Marksgran said…
Hello! I've just rediscovered your blog through linking from another (I've gone down so many web tunnels now I'm afraid I don't remember which one! Perhaps it was Anna's?) Sounds like you've had many adventures since I last read your blog, not least you've become a grandma! Congratulations. On your subject of birthday cards, I mourn the loss of them now. Somehow texts and whatsapps are just not the same and to be honest reading your post made me even more determined to carry on sending 'real' birthday cards to people! As for Tai Chi. I tried it a few years ago for a few weeks and my problem was remembering the order of the moves from one week to the next! And when a new one was added every week, you can see I was getting very frustrated so I thought it really wasn't for me! I hope you continue to enjoy it though as it is very relaxing. x
Caree Risover said…
Good to hear from you Mark’s Gran, even if you did have to find your way through a maze to get here. Being a grandmother is rather special, isn’t it? I also know what you mean about Tai Chi - maybe it’s good for the brain cells as well as everything else!
Christie Hawkes said…
First of all, Caree, this is the most entertaining description of a workout routine I've ever read. Thank you for that. Second, tai chi sounds like something I might enjoy. I need to see if it is offered somewhere close to me.
Caree Risover said…
And thank you for that comment, Christie. Yes, Tai Chi is definitely different to the other classes that I do and I’d encourage anyone to give it a try and see what they think whilst accepting that, like most things, it’s not for everyone.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off