A Distraction

 

Somebody recently told me that they'd enjoyed modelling, participating as a favour at a charitable event for the first time this summer. Handbags, sunglasses and high heels with quick changes in between each outfit. In retirement I'm keen to try many things but I'm definitely not glamorous enough to ever consider stepping onto a catwalk, so felt in no way tempted to give it a go.

Earlier in the month, however, I referred to my need for active diversions to the ongoing headache caused by the oil leak. Last week, I too found it in modelling. In my case, however, it was of the clay variety when I signed up for a Highland Cow Sculpting workshop.

Didn't I just love it. A far cry from the plasticine of my childhood, clay is altogether more malleable if somewhat messier too. I even got to play with an extruder in order to create all that long hair. My piece has now gone to be fired and although there's every probability that it will have crumbled before we're reunited, I at least had the foresight to take a photograph.

In the meantime, guess who's been into her local art shop to stock up on more clay, this time of the air dry variety. No sculptor's extruder this time, just a humble garlic press but oh so much fun. Of course I now have aspirations for creating my very own herd of small cute and brightly coloured "coos." Is there a better distraction than the art of play? 

(Top Image by Ahmad Ardity from Pixabay)

 

Comments

Treaders said…
I thought you were going to say that was the teacher's clay cow but oh my goodness, what a talented lady you are. That's wonderful!
Caree Risover said…
Treaders, you flatter- it’s never as difficult following a teacher as pursuing our own attempts at original creativity though, is it?
Treaders said…
I don't know about that. I took patchwork lessons with a very talented teacher and still managed to bugger everything up (right brain/left brain again)!
Caree Risover said…
The thought makes me giggle (and I’m useless with a needle and thread) but maybe that was just your innate creativity showing itself- Grayson Perry look away.
Marksgran said…
I love your cow (there's a sentence I never imagined I'd say!) It looks exactly like the ones in the gift shop at Pollok House in Glasgow where there is a field of highland cows. I'm sure it won't crumble but fingers crossed to be safe! x
Caree Risover said…
(And a sentence I’d never expected to thank anyone for) - thank you

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

A Trip to Town