Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti

 

 I spent last weekend in a one man tent at the World Yoga Festival on the showground at Henley on Thames. I confess I've never been to a festival before but on the basis that meat, never mind alcohol, was strictly forbidden I knew it would avoid the excesses that the Youngest has described to me from her own experiences at Glastonbury and beyond. 

All chanting and drumming stopped by 11pm; the weather was wonderful; the ladies I went with were great company; I was exhausted from all the Yoga classes and other activities; my appetite was sated from the vegan food stalls. Regardless, I slept terribly! Maybe it was that hard bump on the ground beneath my sleeping bag but I'm convinced camping gets harder as you age. 

Why put myself through the hardship? It's another dimension to my exploration of Planet Retirement and that quest for the holy grail which if it's not the meaning of life must at least be the route to its fulfilment. 

When I first entered retirement, burn out and the pedantry of years of legal practice dominated. I was earnest in wanting to seek and discover that inner creative and bohemian being that I know is still lurking in there somewhere. Along the way I've met so many people, some with their lives totally sussed, others still wandering aimlessly. 

From an exercise perspective, I prefer Pilates to Yoga. The latter, however, goes beyond movement to be a totally holistic practice or way of life and I've never failed to be impressed by the serenity of those people who have totally embraced it. The festival, with talks and classes from true masters, offered an opportunity to explore further the whole concept of not simply breathing deeply but of a calm and peaceful way of living, nurturing and nourishing body, mind and spirit.

I listened to talks on food and eating practices. I immersed myself in sound baths and suffered the ignominy of falling asleep in them on not one but two occasions, for which I blame the hard bump and my need for some serious shut-eye. I learnt the basics of Thai massage and photography with mindfulness. I undertook classes for backache and body alignment. I danced to the chants and drumming. I smiled at everyone and they smiled back. It felt wild and free, grounding to the Earth and living in the moment.

But, and it's a big but, the whole spiritual side really isn't me. Regrettably I remain a human doing rather than a human being. I understand, I really do, that there may be vast benefits in simply sitting still, taking life slowly, meditating, chanting and indulging in cetain rituals. Sadly deceleration is a potential part of retirement that I just haven't yet reached.

What I did discover, however, was Laughter Yoga. You can't help but be in the present, enjoying every moment as you guffaw and chortle without an asana in sight. Apparently there's evidence that even forced laughter uplifts the mood and a session that ended with genuine hysterical giggling radiated positivity and happiness that lasted for several days. Now that is something I really could pursue further, especially if I don't have to sleep on a hard bump to do so.

 



Comments

Treaders said…
I think I'm a human doing too and while I love yoga I've never wanted to do a full day retreat. I know when our teacher has us chanting I end up composing my shopping list in my head. I prefer the physical stuff as it does so much good doesn't it, but well done to you for giving it a shot!
Caree Risover said…
I think there are lots of us human doings around and, in the event that I could master the mindfulness medicine, I’m not sure I’d ever accomplish successful meditation.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

Exhaustion

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

Time and Change

A Drenching

Ageing

Down on the Plot

Carnage

Back to School

A Full Service

Discombobulation

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Sorting and Shedding