Back to School

 

School pupils returned to their desks last week after the long summer break. I did likewise, having impetuously signed up for a course on Health and Nutrition a few weeks ago. My second assignment was due yesterday and what with our trip to the Lake District and other commitments, it was looking touch and go as to whether I would actually complete it by the deadline set.

Needless to say, I took advantage of the appalling weather outside to hunker down at the computer and get on with it.  Save for refreshment breaks, I was there for 12 long hours although I confess that most of the time I was captivated by both the topics covered and the challenge of the task. 

I haven't undertaken any formal learning in retirement so it's all been something of a novelty. That said, yesterday I inevitably found myself comparing my situation to the world of work which must have been the last place I spent that amount of time at a desk. It was perhaps a shame that the very nature of the course with its health content alerted me to all the pitfalls of a sedentary life, staring at a screen. Truly, I would not be lying to say that I awoke this morning feeling stiff and hunched over, tired and out of step with my customary Sunday morning routines.

There's one final assignment to submit three weeks from now. There will be no more similarities to the binding chains of career and obligation, nor sacrifices made on the altar of bad posture and dedication. This time I shall be pacing myself.  

(Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay)

Comments

Treaders said…
Last Thursday and Friday were a public holiday in Geneva so everyone will be back to work today with probably no more breaks until Christmas. Oh how it used to depress me - back to work for the long haul, bad weather setting in and awful traffic because the kids were back at school. It's been almost six years for me now that I quit work and still can't get over not having to go through that ever again. Can I ask, are you studying nutrition online or in a physical classroom? It's something that also interests me greatly (along with alternative medicine)!
Caree Risover said…
Yes, this is an online course but funded by the local authority with a low level but nationally recognised qualification on completion. I have to say that I do wonder why I didn’t know all about the science behind nutrition before as I’m finding it quite compelling. I guess O’level Biology just didn’t quite hack it, back in the day !

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

Exhaustion

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

Time and Change

A Drenching

Ageing

Carnage

Down on the Plot

A Full Service

Discombobulation

The 3 x 60 Challenge

We Made It