Wharram Percy



I expected that giving up the intellectual stimulation that I have always derived from my work might create a void. I am pleased, however, to report that this does not seem to have been the case. Alternatively I've just been too worn out physically to concern myself with my mental faculties.

Nevertheless and in an effort to ensure that my brain doesn't degenerate too quickly into mush, I have started another Future Learn course. This one is on England in the Time of Richard III. Whilst by no means as academic as the previous courses I have undertaken with Future Learn, it has perhaps been the most interesting, prompting me to start reading about the Medieval Period and also yesterday to visit Wharram Percy.



It was a glorious sunny day and driving through the Yorkshire Wolds one could enjoy their beauty at its best. 


Our destination was a rare surprise; the most famous and thoroughly investigated of all the deserted medieval villages, tucked away in its own little V shaped valley complete with original Church and a restored fishpond, with the site of the manor and peasant houses and plots clearly visible. Wandering along the grass paths, I could almost imagine being back there 700 years ago with the smell of wood-smoke hanging over the valley and the villagers going about their daily lives as they worked the land to provide a living.


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Good Riddance

Thank You but..