A State of Drought


 

Unbelievable it may be but despite all the rain last summer, autumn, winter and early spring, my water butts are now dry. I have 5 large ones all fed from various parts of the roof and the last time this happened was 2006. I remember it well because I had to fill them by hose so that a good neighbour could water the garden whilst we were on holiday; then, contrary to all forecasts, two days after we left the heatwave ended and it poured down for the remaining period of our absence.

Of course, I am the villain of this latest situation having poured litres of water on the garden over the last few weeks in an effort to nurture new seedlings and plants as well as those in established pots and ever thirsty rhubarb.

Now I could go outside and do a rain dance; I could use diviners and try to find a new water source but what I'm doing instead is calling it an official drought and resigning myself to the situation. I seem to recall that whenever anyone in authority has proclaimed a drought in this country, the heavens have always responded by opening. Let's see if it happens this time when, as a registered proprietor of our little patch of earth, I declare a state of despair.

Mind gardens aren't supposed to be just hardwork. After all the effort Mister E and I have put in recently we definitely want some time when we can just sit outside and enjoy the results of our toil. So, having placed an order for rain (Zeus, lord of the sky and rain, are you listening?), can I just clarify that I only want enough to fill my butts and if it can be arranged to fall only at night even better.

Comments

Jane said…
Drought is forecast for my area as well and it's been only two years since the last one - it seems to be tied into new global warming trends. So I was very happy that we had a thunderstorm yesterday, although it lasted for maybe five minutes, but it was one day without having to water my plants by hand so I'll take it!
Caree Risover said…
Think I unleashed the rain gods' anger because we got a short thunderstorm yesterday too.
Really nice information you had posted. It's very informative and definitely it will be useful for many people.
Caree Risover said…
You don’t mean that! Instead I know you are marketing your products through promoting your website. Nice try - normally I mark such comments as spam.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith