Hairdressing


Image by Arturs Budkevics from Pixabay

"What are you going to do about your hair?"

That's been a popular refrain from Mister E of late. Seriously, I don't think it's too bad, after all I had it cut quite short not long before all hairdressers were ordered to shut shop and it never looks great at the best of times. Also, I made a useful decision in retirement to let it grow into its now natural colour, a mix of grey and white, so there are no roots to worry about.

I have had a hankering for some time to dye it a soft pastel shade. However, there is no hair dye in the house and it hardly counts as essential shopping so, despite the fact that an enforced period of staying at home would of course be a wonderful time to experiment, I guess it is not going to happen.

I did find myself chatting over the wall to a neighbour who confessed that her husband had "done her roots" for her. Desperate times! Mister E is very handy and an excellent cook, but I'm not sure that I want to be a guinea pig for his untested hairdressing skills.

In any event, I gave my hair a good wash, applied some of that sticky volumising gel, blew dry it and you know what, it looked perfectly fine to my eye, especially as I'd already attacked the unruly Elvis sideburns with nail scissors a couple of days beforehand. Perfectly respectable and just as well as I was off out to collect prescriptions shortly afterwards.

Just as I was leaving the house, I received a call. Guess who? Yes, none other than my hairdresser, wanting to keep in touch and assuring me that I would have a priority booking when she returns to work. Bless her and we had a lovely chat but, almost as bad as Mister E, what is it about my hair that makes people think I care?

Be that as it may, it does do you good to glamorise yourself from time to time. Take last night, hair still intact (the glue-like gel is magical), I decided to join my brother in dressing up. Not literally, he was at his home but has started to wear the full works on a Thursday night: dinner suit, cumerbund, dress shirt, bow tie. He does it to go out to clap for the NHS and carers whilst my sister in law is coming to the end of a gruelling shift on the frontline at one of our local hospitals. So I bathed and then donned my own evening dress, pearls, stilettos followed by a spray of eau de parfum and some bright red vampish lipstick.

We can't actually see anybody else from our front door, but I joined in the clapping regardless, sent the video to my sister in law and felt like I'd had my first night out for a long time.


Comments

Fun60 said…
I'm not usually bothered by my hair. Like you I returned to my natural colour a number of years ago and have it cut every few weeks. So I thought I was happy to just leave it to grow. Last night during the family zoom get together, it meant Ihad to look at myself onthe screen. Oh dear! What a mess! I decided the only way through this is not to look at myself and just hope that gravity will take over soon and in stead of growing at right angles to my head it will eventually grow downwards. I would have enjoyed seeing you dressedin your finest for the Thursday evening clapping. Thank you for your comment on my blog and I hope it isn't too long before you get to see the YSP for yourself.
Caree Risover said…
Thanks for responding. Yes the big downside of Zoom is seeing yourself. I have a strong feeling that there’ll be a new fashion in hats shortly and, contrary to all my better instincts on fads and trends, I’ll be one of the first to embrace it.
Jennyff said…
I just posted about my husband's hair (if you want a laugh). I am not touching mine, wild as it is, I take the view we are all in the same boat and not going out anyway. I am hoping for a pony tail eventually, meantime I have ordered some stretchy bands to keep it out of my eyes. Take care.
Caree Risover said…
Yep, I fancy one of those comb like slides to see if I can pin it up at the back and I’m heading over there next for a laugh!
Binge Swimmer said…
Hi J

I just went for it and have been hacking bits off as and when they annoy me, (frequently) top and sides is ok, but haven’t figured how to do the back so I’m developing a bit of a mullet. I figured once I’m out an extra short hair cut will mitigate the worst of it.

Cheers

Binge (aka chopper)
Caree Risover said…
Hi Binge (aka Chopper) - sounds a bit like diving into the deep end to me, and I’m smiling whilst trying to imagine you with a mullet.
Treaders said…
I've pretty much always hacked bits off my hair. So far I've done it twice in lockdown (the last time was last night). It's not too bad from the front but I have no idea what it looks like from the back. But then there's nobody here to see it is there!
Caree Risover said…
I think we just need to hide all the mirrors and that way we are not feigning ignorance when we emerge.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off