Showers and Flowers



There is no doubt that of late one of the prime divisions in this country must be between those who have some kind of outdoor space attached to their home and those who do not. I am fortunate to fall into the former group and have been making the most of the fair spring weather to sow vegetable seeds in the greenhouse whilst planting onion and potato sets outside. In fact, I'm so up to date in the garden that after turning compost and sweeping paths, I've had to resort to sitting outside with a book and cup of tea to make the most of the brilliant sunshine whilst avoiding indoor chores. 

Life is certainly confusing at the present time. The May blossom in our hedge has been and gone, yet perhaps Spring only truly arrived today when we heard the first cuckoo call.

I gather, however, that it has been significantly warmer further south than our little patch of North Yorkshire garden. It's little wonder, therefore, that for some city dwellers complying with the Health Secretary's best exhortations to deny the temptation to rush to the nearest park to sunbathe must be extremely difficult. 

How he must have despaired, therefore, when the so called leader of the free world suggested that "we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light.... supposing you brought the light inside the body, either through the skin or some other way.”

I mean we all know Mr Trump was talking disconcerting nonsense especially when he referred to the ingestion of disinfectant, but I confess at one point in the heat yesterday, I did consider stretching out on the grass. Just thinking about it, had me flummoxed: inevitably my mouth would have fallen open as I lolled there but I would have been breathing  through it and catching flies rather than killing viruses, wouldn't I?

Determined for once to complete my daily To Do List, however, I never did get to recline on the lawn to absorb light or otherwise. Now, this evening I see that the weather is changing and I even had to dash out to bring washing in when a light rain shower intervened this afternoon and the temperature dropped. 


It seems from the forecast that April showers are finally arriving,  albeit later than the May flowers they are meant to herald. I can't pretend to be anything but relieved and I bet Mr Hancock, the Health Secretary, is feeling the same way. In my case, however, I just want those water butts refilling and have no wish to spend every lockdown evening with my watering-can in hand constantly carrying out Nature's work for it.



Comments

Treaders said…
I'm so eternally grateful that I have my small garden and even luckier that it backs on to a farm. For those that don't have such space available to them I can only feel so sorry, particularly those with young children!
Caree Risover said…
The footage of the children in Spain being allowed out after being shut indoors for so long was heartwarming. I honestly can’t imagine how parents are coping, especially those trying to juggle caring for their children in small flats and perhaps working from home too.
Jennyff said…
Most of our friends in Italy are without gardens and often in little hill villages with houses tightly packed together along narrow streets. They are normally such sociable people, always out in the squares, but they have obeyed the rules and for longer than us, presumably hoping that next spring will be better.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, it is all the talk about the “new normal” that brings home the reality, just like the fact of ‘hoping’ next spring will be better.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver