December

 


Yes, December has arrived again and how much shorter the days are now. I'm not sure how it happens but every year, despite all my good intentions, I still find myself planting bulbs in the garden when sensibly it's far too cold and late to do so.

Recently I've been trying to dig over and plant a couple of square metres a day and suffice to say, if the weather holds, tomorrow should see the completion of this arduous creaking-back task.

Despite the low temperature, today was very pleasant for the couple of hours I spent outside. The sun shone and the soil turned easily, although there were any number of weeds to remove. 

I have been ruing the fact that having decided to try my hand at soap making, so many recipes recommend picking your own flowers to dry and use for colour and decoration. Had I known in advance that I would have a sudden urge to turn to the chemistry of saponification this winter, I might also have had the forethought and good sense to gather and dry blossom and flowerheads when they were in bloom.

Imagine, therefore, my surprise when I realised that the bed I was working in today still sported some lavender and calendula glowing colourfully in the wintry sunshine. It doesn't now but then they were set to be destroyed by the overnight frosts soon anyway, weren't they?

 

 

Comments

Jeanette Lewis said…
Consider yourself fortunate to work in your garden at this time of year! It was a snow day in Southern Ontario as about 25 cm of the white fluffy stuff fell. The temperature dropped to -1 C but the winds made it feel much colder. Beautiful -- but no gardening here!
Caree Risover said…
That made me shiver, although I see sleet is forecast for us at the end of the week. It’s the northerly winds that add to the chill here too but more by good fortune than management, the one small area I now have left to dig is protected by a wall.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Happy New Me

Keeping the Faith

Late, Even in Retirement