Gotcha

 

It's never good to be taken for a fool but that's what happened to me this morning.

Like a significant percentage of the global population I have become a Wordle addict and exchange results and methodology with the youngest daily. To be fair, we only started to do this in the early days of my recuperation but it has nevertheless now become a breakfast time habit. 

This morning, in light of the lack of letters revealed by my starting word and follow up, I was seriously proud of myself for cracking the puzzle in three rows. At best I thought the youngest might have equalled the score but no, she proclaimed herself a victor with her opening guess. Of course, I was amazed; not so much at any skill or ingenuity (that only arises when one of us solves it in two) but at the sheer fluke that must have occurred in predicting exactly the same word as an algorithm.

"You're not just in tune with that algorithm, you are it," I told her in our exchange of messages, graciously conceding defeat to her tremendous victory.

"April fool," came the response. (At least she hadn't typed "And you are the April fool," although she may just as well have.)

Of course I had a good chuckle at my gullibility. It took me back to when the eldest and youngest were children and we all spent 31st March prepping up on outrageous statements with the aim of tricking the rest of the family the next morning. I can't remember when or how that tradition faded, nor indeed whether the youngest has a genuine need to vindicate herself for being duped in the past.

However, she needs to watch out, because having totally forgotten about April Fool's Day this year, suitable reminders have now been posted in my diary to enable me to retaliate in 2023. There's something about family life, whatever your age, that brings out the competitive spirit and a daily Wordle puzzle simply isn't enough!

 

 

Comments

Treaders said…
I do Wordle too - but do you always start with the same word? I do! My sister told me if I was totally addicted I should look up Wordle archives, but to be honest I don't want to go there. But well done to your daughter for tricking you. I have to say April's Fools isn't that big over here!
Caree Risover said…
I have a couple of favourite words that I alternate to start Wordle and yes, I confess I did dip into the archive for a time until I discovered Quordle instead and doing that daily as well as Wordle is now my strict limit.
Treaders said…
Damn, I know I shouldn't have looked up Quordle - I'm screwed and will never get anything done now!
Caree Risover said…
Guess I should feel responsible but you just creased me up with laughter instead 🤣
Jan said…
My daughter and I do wordle every night after dinner. Such a simple idea but it's really fun.
Caree Risover said…
It is curious how it’s become part of the daily routine for so many people (myself included).

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver