Party Girl

 


 Definitely out of practice.

A family party to celebrate a double retirement at the weekend and I'm still in recovery mode. Worse still that's despite playing the part of the no-drinking driver and being home and tucked up in bed by 11.30pm. It was a great night for dancing, even if I did find the music several decibels louder than I might have chosen but my knees continue to pay the price. My throat too still feels hoarse from all the shouting over the sound system. 

Well for an hour or three it was good to recall that this is how the Saturday nights of youth were regularly spent. Now, in retirement, a party only comes around every 6 to 8 months; probably just long enough for the euphoria to abate and a proper recuperation to take effect.

Retirement is a worthy cause for celebration  but in this instance I even wondered if I was actually the only fully retired person in the room. The shining example for all to aspire to as I strutted my stuff on the dance floor... or, in retrospect, maybe not. 

You see retirement takes many forms and in this instance my brother hadn't actually yet retired, having been a little slow off the mark getting in his resignation letter, whilst my sister-in-law was a lady of leisure for a matter of only days, after accepting an offer of part-time employment at her leaving-do a month earlier. Does it actually matter when retirement is really a state of mind; a stage of evolution; a period of life when you apply your time as you seek? Whether doing some work or not, it's an era for different priorities; celebrations and family are more precious than ever and you no longer care who might be judging your disco shuffles or dress sense.

 

Comments

Cathy said…
In a similar vein It’s strange that I can stay up late (as in way past midnight) watching something on tv and wake as per usual the next day feeling maybe a bit off yet add music and maybe a drinky or two and the same late hour produces a bone weary miserable female who needs a mid afternoon nap to survive. A bit like what they say about child rearing…best done while you’re young!

I haven’t heard much about retirement parties down here….possibly a northern hemisphere thing.
Caree Risover said…
Oh no- just the thought of the sleep deprivation linked to child rearing makes me shudder!
Treaders said…
I'm with Cathy. I rarely go to bed before 1 a.m. and get up after maybe 6-7 hours just fine, but add loads of noise into it and I've had enough before midnight!
Caree Risover said…
Perhaps there’s a chance that if we get deafer as we get older, we might party for longer again too!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver