Screaming

 ðŸ˜±ðŸ˜±ðŸ˜±

One third of the way through a long Bank Holiday weekend and I awoke this morning feeling like a cross between Edvard Munch's The Scream and that screeching emoji. To be more precise and to clarify, it was my muscles that were screaming though, not my vocal chords.

Despite knowing better, not only did I spend all day yesterday digging, lifting and bending in the garden but I totally overlooked stretching off afterwards. Away from a studio class, stretches of the quad, calf and hamstring, not to mention back and side bends, don't seem to feature in my regular routine. After 6 hours of hard labour they really must; the tragedy of course was that I only remembered this when I descended the stairs this morning, rigid and in agony.

One of the tribulations of my retirement is always that I want my body to do more than ever whilst caught in a never ending spiral of ageing and stiffness.

Fortunately the pain has eased, not least after deliberately extending my limbs and spine in all directions, and sufficiently to go out this afternoon and do it all again! A hot bath now beckons; I think I deserve it.


 


Comments

Treaders said…
Oh poor you, I know that feeling well, but usually after one of my long walks. Doddering down the stairs first thing in the morning is not a very fetching look is it! Glad you feel better now though!
Jeanette Lewis said…
Somehow garden work exercises muscles and joints that no gym workout touches. I hope your garden will thank you! Take care of yourself!
Unknown said…
I feel your pain My legs seized up after a circuits session where I pushed myself. The next time was much more leisurely and I suffered no such after effects Hope it eases off soon so you can enjoy your gardening again You have inspired me to apply for our local U3a gardening club. Also really enjoyed our trip to Brantwood where the bluebells were at their best and the house guide was excellent We also called in at the Swallows and Amazons tea rooms with its stunning views of Coniston Happy days
Caree Risover said…
Thank you all. I guess it’s only when muscles ache that we know we’ve really worked them!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter