Fair or Foul

 

Yes we have been on our travels again visiting both Wales and Scotland in the course of just over a week. I'd like to say we travelled by car, but our journeys to both felt more like swimming as the rain swept down in torrents.

 I confess the further I get on in retirement the more inclined I am to become a fair weather traveller. So much so that when I saw the forecast for our 4 day trip to Anglesey I did wonder whether that super dooper travel policy I had to pay millions for might enable cancellation on the grounds of soggy conditions. Of course it didn't. Hence Mister E, the youngest and I set off, expecting the worst and prepared for it with heavy duty waterproofs

 




But, as we all know, the British climate is fickle to say the least and although we very much floated there in some of the foulest conditions I have ever encountered on a motorway, the black clouds dispersed upon arrival and we were indulged with sunshine for the rest of our stay. So much so that we even had a picnic on the beach and an outdoor hot tub session every evening.


Conversely, we had chosen our overnight near Oban to coincide with a dry day to sort out a few jobs now the boat is again out of the water for the winter. Funny how you never get what you are expecting, and on this occasion heavy showers were occasionally interrupted by sunny spells. With the temperature struggling to reach double figures too, there was no prospect of outdoor dining and, unlike a few days before in Wales, autumn had very definitely arrived in the Highlands.


 No lunch on the sand this time, but at least we had a bed with a view!

 

 

 


Comments

Treaders said…
That's the thing about British weather isn't it - you can get all four seasons in one day! My mom was from Betws-y-Coed and my uncle worked for the forestry on Anglesey for a time. I have very fond memories of spending the day on Anglesey in my uncle's run down old caravan while he was off working! Happy days indeed!
Caree Risover said…
I confess I'd never visited Anglesey before and hadn't been to North Wales since 1980. Needless to say it has changed!
Jean said…
One of the best holidays I ever had was on Anglesey in 2015. For the last week of September we had fabulous weather, which makes for a great holiday. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere of that very same gate.......or at least one very similar.
Mind you, I seem to remember that all the public toilets were closed for the winter that year!
Caree Risover said…
The weather was definitely an unexpected and very appreciated surprise and the photo of the gate was taken on Llanddwyn Island. I wonder if the notice in my next post arose after the winter closure you refer to when presumably they found goodness knows how many visitors trapped inside - not a story that made the headlines.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith