Appy Goddess


 I don't know how anybody else copes with domestic chores but I find them a real grind. When I was working I generally paid somebody to assist with the cleaning and ironing but even then tidying up in readiness for their visit was a burden in itself. In retirement I chose to relieve myself of that load by endeavouring to keep on top of the inevitable crumbs, dust and muck personally.

I can't say I'm successful in doing so. Although after 9 years of retirement I am at least more accomplished in that sphere than when I set out. Adapting from a career that called out for an element of perfectionism to a dust and do mentality has not been easy. If anything is going to force us to downsize it will inevitably be the hours of my time spent on mundane household tasks, only to have to repeat them again a week or two later. What is it about dirt that it reappears as soon as you turn your head?

Last week, however, I decided to try a new technique and downloaded a couple of cleaning apps. I hadn't previously  realised that such things even existed. Now we are still in the experimental stage but being told on a daily basis what jobs need doing, how little time I'm to spend on them and having a tick box to mark and an online firework display when everything is done and dusted is working like a charm. There's some reverse psychology going on too, because being told that if I don't feel like making the effort, I should just delete the set task and move on (who cares?) seems to have made me more determined to tick them all off. My life isn't so busy that I can't spare 30 minutes a day on mindless vacuuming and wiping. One of the apps even designated Saturday and Sunday as free days whereupon this domestic goddess found time to put her feet up on a clean footstool to read a book and, when she had finished it, baked a cake! It's a longtime since I've tried that trick, believe me.

Anyway it does seem that all along I'd been attacking this cleaning malarkey with the wrong attitude. Martyred to the cause and feeling the pain, when I set about a task I wanted to do the job properly and, as ever, because it took more time than was comfortable I would defer it to another day, then week, then month until ultimately it felt as if we were living in a constant state of chaos. It will take time but a change of mindset led by a widget on the iPad is already having a material impact. Ten minutes attacking a dumping spot and clearing everything away is achieving so much more than the procrastination over starting a massive clear out. 

Long may it continue.

 

 



Comments

Treaders said…
Even when I was working and there were four of us at home I never had a cleaning lady because my ex was such a hoarding mess (odd for a former US marine) that I didn't see how someone could clean around his mess! I'm naturally quite tidy and since I'm on my own I have a very much dust and sod it attitude because it pretty much never looks that bad (I hope). One thing that is helping me is setting my timer for an hour and in that time I can do anything I want (but hopefully more decluttering) and that feels productive. I've still got a long way to go having so much of my ex's junk still in my basement, but with everything that goes out of this house I breath a little easier! That being said, I once tried using Fly Lady and it drove me bloody nuts, so good for you if the app is working for you!
Caree Risover said…
Somebody once told me that you pay a homehelp to clean not pick up after you. I took the words to heart and as somebody who is naturally untidy but has a desire for neatness, the house has been a challenge ever since! But well done on your progress- I still feel it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back for me but at least that's the right direction.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver