A House in the Country

 

This morning I awoke in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, at Crianlarich which is often described as the Gateway to the Highlands.  I had not been kidnapped, so rising there was no surprise as Mister E and I had travelled up as part of a pre-winter visit to the Retirement Project.

 


I always love waking in the Scottish countryside. It doesn't matter where, as inevitably you are surrounded by the vastness of  landscape. The photographs hardly do the location justice, snatched as they were quickly on my mobile phone at first light and before Mister E scraped the ice from the windscreen and we headed westwards to the coast and marina.

Whenever I stay away from home, I never cease imagining what it would be like to live in that place permanently. Retirement is obviously the perfect opportunity to relocate to the perfect fantasy destination. Accepting that downsizing may be necessary at some point, where, with an almost infinite choice, would we downsize to?

Flights of fancy are one thing but pragmatism always creeps in to spoil the illusion. The views this morning were great and the air fresh and clear, but how close are the supermarket, medical centre, gym and other activities? My DNA proves my Scottish ancestry and the people are friendly, but how far away are close family and friends? What are the prevailing weather conditions like and with a geographical location further north than our present situation, could we cope with even shorter, colder winter days?

We are back at home now with our own outlook over the North Yorkshire countryside and all the comfort that familiarity brings. Will we swap it? Not at the present time.

 

 


 

 


Comments

Treaders said…
As you get older you have to be pragmatic don't you! I remember a few years ago thinking I might retire to Spain as I love Spain anyway and speak the language, but I realize that my kids (and now my grandson) are just 30 minutes away, I HATE the heat and I have everything I could possibly want right here on my doorstep (including easy access to Swiss medical facilities). While the house is probably too big for just me, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live AND I'm still discovering beautiful places to visit 30+ years later! All things being equal, it would be madness to move!
Caree Risover said…
I agree but although we even live in one of those areas that’s frequently rated high to retire to, I just can’t help pondering the alternatives wherever we go. Not sure if subconsciously I’m looking for change or reassurance that what we’ve got is right, certainly for this phase of retirement.
Marksgran said…
I think you're right to consider the practicalities. A friend of mine moved to one of the islands in Scotland a couple of years ago and although she has amazing views and what looks from the outside an idyllic life, I think she's beginning to struggle with being so far from hospitals and the city. Also if there is bad weather she is stuck until the ferries can run again so all in all its not quite as idyllic as it looks. It's lovely to dream though.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, dreaming is the easy bit. A workable plan for anything is always so much harder isn’t it?

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia