Frazzled by the Electric


How do the truly elderly navigate bureaucracy? Recently I had an uncomfortable experience from checking an older relative's energy bill. Her gas and electricity come from one of our largest providers and back in August when I had conducted the same check, I submitted meter readings for her, naively thinking that her direct debit payments would be reduced because of the credit that had built up.

Now why ever would I think that an energy supplier might behave decently and do this, especially for somebody whom it has listed as a vulnerable person?

Yesterday it was apparent that instead not only had the direct debit payment been increased but the credit was now running into 4 figures and so far as I could see approximated a whole year's supply of energy. Not wanting to telephone, because I really can't stand those awful "Your call is important to us," messages as you hold for eternity, I decided to try the chat bot.

I succinctly explained that we were looking for a refund and a message popped up in quick response: "You are 426 in the line to be answered!" My inclination may have been to close the messaging service at that juncture but I held on and to give it due respect we moved up the line every few seconds until after some 15 minutes a customer adviser was available to chat.

She looked into the position. We provided up to date meter readings. Then she requested photographs as evidence (tell me what is the point of smart meters?). Of course that was not an easy ask in the dark and not something either the partially sighted or arthritic fingers of an elderly person could straightforwardly have complied with, had they ever been able to master a conversation with the chat bot itself.

Sorted on our part, she finally reverted to say she could reduce the direct debit. At the figure mentioned, however, it would easily have taken over 4 years to be repaid in full! I stuck to my guns and indicated we were looking for reimbursement for the overpayment. 

"Your customer adviser has left the conversation," was the response! It was 5pm and she had presumably left for the day.

A couple of minutes later (long enough for me to wonder whether I really had been cut off in mid-stream) a second adviser picked up the messages and we started from the beginning although I dug in my heels when he asked that we submit meter readings, telling him to reread the conversation he had claimed to have familiarised himself with. Then, having assured us he understood the issue and would resolve it, he asked, "Do you want a refund?"

Brilliant, I mused, thinking wasn't that the request that I opened the conversation with. Still at least it could be viewed as progress and I replied with a resounding "YES!"

"Are you sure?" he said.

"Is there any reason why I should not want to recoup the overpayment?" I asked.

"I am just checking," he replied!

Pulling teeth came to mind, especially when next he said he had to e-mail his manager for authority. Turned out that the advisers only have the power to set in motion repayments for up to £600. So there you have it, fleece the most vulnerable in society and then make it doubly difficult to secure repayment!

Apparently there should be an email in the next few days to confirm that the repayment is to be made. I believed there really wasn't much more I could say and so the conversation finished. Darn, worn down by the obfuscation and delay, for I'd then been online for more than an hour, I had overlooked asking for the level of the existing direct debit which appears to be more than 3 times what is required, to be reduced. 

Why do I feel a need for some kind of stress-busting coaching session before I try contacting the company again? Was this a deliberate ploy on its behalf? Hang onto the customer's money by making the process of seeking to reclaim what is rightfully theirs both tedious and protracted and avoid ever offering what they fully need to resolve the situation. Will an email and repayment arrive?

This stage of retirement is great but it is that older phase that concerns me. How easy is it going to be to retain the wherewithal to negotiate my way through the perplexity of big company administration and customercare services when they already leave me, a mere youngster still with all her faculties (I hope),  feeling frazzled?





Comments

Treaders said…
I follow a Scottish lady on Youtube and her young colleague had just bought his first flat. The direct debit started at £56/month and they then increased it to £86, and before he knew it it was going to go up to over £200???? so she told him to cancel his direct debit and pay as you go. I know that's not always possible but it really is daylight robbery isn't it!
Caree Risover said…
Those increases sound familiar following the historic bills through on this account. Trouble is people are often far too trusting of these big companies with familiar names and I really felt I was being made to fight for the repayment of what was never theirs in the first place. That said, there’s no confirmation yet that it is being repaid and I’m so annoyed with myself for overlooking seeking a reduction of the direct debit or requesting a variable amount to correlate with the bill, as you suggest, going forward but you almost lose the will to do anything but surrender after they mess you around for an hour, don’t you?
Marksgran said…
I did much the same this week for my mum. Her credit had built up to almost 4 figures and I decided it was time to both request a repayment and reduce her direct debit. Fortunately I had set up an online account for her when my dad died a few years ago so I went online to do it. They wouldn't let me reduce the dd by much and I've had an email from them saying she will hopefully get the part repayment I asked for so fingers crossed! However our own experience recently trying to get a new router from Virgin was a total nightmare! Not to mention when we did eventually get through to a person who's first language was clearly not English, not only did he not help us, he was positively rude too! We eventually sorted it out but it was days and days of time we'll never get back!! I hope you get the refund. x
Caree Risover said…
It really is a widespread problem isn’t it? On our part, the only progress so far is to receive an increased bill calculated to the date of my conversation based on the meter readings that I gave!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia