Christmas Disco

 

No, it may be 9th December but I haven't yet been to a Christmas  Disco. I know there's something about regressing as you age but going back to those teenage years when the whole of December seemed like one endless party isn't something I've yet subscribed to in retirement.

That said, the Fitness Studio at the gym was recently upgraded to include vertical fluorescent strip lights on the walls that can be set to flash and change colour. Far superior in fact to the projected colours at the local community hall that my 15 year old self  frequented.

In Keep Fit to Music the other day, the memories came flooding back, even if I was lying on the floor at the time in a hip bridge. I assure you it had nothing to do with any historic attempt at break dancing (which, in my youth, certainly hadn't caught on where I grew up). Rather, I think it was inspired by the Christmas soundtrack that the instructor had introduced by way of seasonal gesture. 

All those Christmas melodies from the Glam Rock era that still get rolled out, year after year. I know carols and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" preceded those hits, but, having grown up with them, whatever did Christmas feel like without? I mean who would have thought that Wizzard's "I Wish it Could be Christmas Every Day" and Slade's "Merry Christmas Everybody" would still be required entertainment in 2023, fifty years (that right, fifty years!) after they were first released in 1973. 

Needless to say, there we were an energetic bunch of retired 60 year pluses decked out in leggings and trainers with not a platform sole in sight, reliving our past and hitting the December party season in the same way as we've done for five decades, moving to a festive song bonanza under flashing lights. Mind some things do change because it was only 9.15am!

(Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay)

 

 


Comments

Treaders said…
The gym where I was going (haven't been for ages) often plays VERY LOUD rap and I hate it. I'd prefer the 1980s stuff too (but never at 9.15 a.m.)!
Caree Risover said…
With you on the loud rap but fitness classes to a 70’s or 80’s soundtrack are on a different level, although I can think of a couple of instances where I’ve asked the trainer to turn the volume down!
Hey Caree! It actually sounds like a LOT of fun! I actually love to dance so I'll do it any time anywhere even if it requires a little exercise thrown in. Plus mixing up the music variety is a good way to keep up the motivation. Enjoy the music, the exercise and the coming holidays! ~Kathy
Caree Risover said…
Yes, the music choice can be so important when it comes to making a class fun. Hope you have a great Christmas too, Kathy.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

A Lifesaver

Technophobia