Sharp Practice

 
Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay

I'm checking in to counter any rumours that my previous blog entries have caught up with me. That said and to be perfectly honest I'm a little computered out at present.

A couple of years ago I had a poor experience with a laptop that I had ordered for an organisation I am involved with, when a pre-loaded programme that had been paid for never arrived. Consequently and when seeking out a new desktop, I bore this in mind and decided to order from its rival. That said, it did seem to be a better package, warranty and specification than anything at the same price on any of the other big name providers, so well pleased, I ticked the box, paid the price and waited.

Under promise and over deliver is the mantra for consumer satisfaction, so I was blown away when it arrived within 48 hours and 3-4 days earlier than I had expected. Setting it up was a doddle with all the wizards, although it did require me to use an ethernet cable.

But then the problems began in the form of a mighty headache. Where was the wireless and bluetooth connectivity promised in the technical specification and downloaded brochure? Two full afternoons spent following online solutions to unlock them failed to unravel the puzzle, although I must surely now know more about the drivers and adapters on my PC than the average IT expert (okay I exaggerate but you get my drift). Eventually I got the diagnosis I had begun to expect, the necessary network and blutooth adapters were missing.

I went back and checked the website Tech Spec and brochure but all was in order and the presence of the illusive connectivity was clearly stated in black and white. I was, however, astonished to read a number of reviews published since my order had been placed and all stating the same issue: this model does not come with wireless connectivity!

Of course, I was having none of it and got straight on to Customer Disservice where I was passed around a few people before somebody promised to order and despatch the missing parts for me. I did point out that wouldn't be much help as I had no intention to start taking my device to bits but as I have onsite technical support under the warranty we agreed to cross that bridge later.

Ultimately, however, I am still stuck on the riverbank as I have now received an email stating that my computer model does not include the required items. Obviously I have fired off a response pointing out that if it does not then the company is guilty of a serious website misrepresentation inducing me to enter into a contract for an item that is not what I had been led to expect and pointing out my legal remedies.

As anticipated and in line with my expereience with its rival, I am being ignored. Both are global, corporate, household names and are clearly capable of withstanding the ire of one little retired customer whose influence on their ratings and sales is hardly going to register. What intrigues me though, is whether or not this is deliberate sharp practice? If these global brands rip off all their little customers to the tune of £20-30 of hard and software, to what extent are their profits boosted?

However, and in the interests of a relaxed retirement do I really want to waste my time pressing the issue when I can simply order a dongle to rectify the problem? Is this, however, what they rely on and should I, therefore, continue to make a fuss?





Comments

Stephanie Jane said…
Personally I would say keep making a fuss if you can bear to and shout about it all over any social media doodads you might have. Like you say, it's not much missing, but if every customer is routinely being ripped of in the same fashion then that adds up to a huge dishonestly acquired saving for the company :-(
Caree Risover said…
It’s very tempting but, short of posting derisory reviews, I can’t help thinking retirement is too short for continued annoyance and prolonged negativity. Am still cross though!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

Technophobia

The 3 x 60 Challenge