A New P.C.



With Microsoft withdrawing its support for Windows 7 on 14th January, I've decided to take the plunge and replace my desktop which is now nearly 8 years old. I did try a Windows 10 upgrade a few years ago but there were so many technical hitches that I had to uninstall it. Needless to say my workhorse of a PC has served me well and, if it wasn't for Microsoft's decision, I am sure that it could continue to do so for a little longer. However, I do use it constantly for editing photographs and video and without support it really isn't worth the risk of a wholesale crash, especially as it has a tendency already to freeze at inopportune moments.

Like thousands of others across the globe, my machine will, therefore, shortly be heading for that great computer graveyard in the sky or wherever it is that they go. I know that this human waste in electrical goods cannot continue but, unlike my washing machine, this isn't a case where a repair will work. I do feel guilty that my obsolete computer is actually going to go to the Council Waste and Recycling Centre (once over known simply as "the tip") but, hopefully, on the basis that small electricals including laptops and PCs have their own designated spot there will be scope for re-using various parts.

Finally should I be absent from this blog for a while, please, before blaming the surrender of my life assurance policy, spare a thought for me potentially struggling to set up a new computer never mind bond with it.



Comments

susan q said…
I am going to continue using my HP with Windows 7 as I only use it for personal use, no editing, no quick books, etc. My computer adviser at my local electronic store told me that this would be okay. Don't forget to move over your photos, videos and documents from your old computer before deposing of it. Let us know how you like your new computer.
Jennyff said…
Good luck with that, I look forward to seeing you back on your blog. I totally agree about waste, you and I can recycle till the cows come home but until big business takes on board the need to be sustainable we will always have a problem.
Caree Risover said…
Previous experience has suggested that without support my old computer will get slower and slower and in due course many of the sites I do visit will be unconnectable. However, I am keeping it running until I am satisfied everything has been transferred properly. I’ve already hit a snag in transferring my family tree to an updated programme as some of the data hasn’t transferred and I’ll have to input it manually. Biggest issue is usually making sure I‘ve wiped the hard drive clean, but that’s where Mister E gets to wield a hammer, just in case!
Caree Risover said…
Hopefully the promised ongoing updates for Windows 10 will bring this particular issue to an end, but I’m not holding my breath..

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver

Fatigued

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off