Here We Go Again

Some twenty years after it first hit the stage, I finally went to see Mamma Mia, the Musical, on Thursday. One of the many advantages about being retired, is that you can actually go to the theatre for matinee performances. That may not be so attractive in the summer, but believe me it's a perfect way to spend a chilly January afternoon. Of course, your fellow audience does tend to be grey of hair and a little frail but it's the show you have come to see, not the occupants of the stalls and grand circle.

To be honest, squeezed between two Super Troupers, my mother and an elderly gent with the tremors, I was actually surprised to find that I was one of the younger audience members. I'd been expecting more like myself; representatives of the generation that actually wore hideously high platform shoes (a saviour back in the seventies for one of such short stature) and hot pants, rather than their parents who at the time had looked on disapprovingly.

In fact, I was even more astonished that my elders didn't get up and leave when, at the commencement of the performance, the audience was asked not only to switch off their mobile phones but also to be aware that, if of a nervous disposition, the performance included scenes involving white lycra.

Unfortunately for me, entry to the auditorium was marred by instructions to the effect that even if I could sing before I could talk and wanted to thank them for the music, I had to tone it down a bit and be quiet. Moreover, whilst it was recognised that I may be a Dancing Queen (Zumba once a week must have led to my coronation), I needed to stay still and resist the urge to move during the show.

Of course, I needn't have worried. The music was so loud that both my neighbours removed their hearing aids, allowing me to sing to my heart's content, and, of course, by the end everyone was swaying in their seats regardless.



Comments

Bob Lowry said…
My wife and I saw Mama Mia on stage in London in 2006. It was a fabulous experience and reintroduced me to the pure joy of Abba's music. Since then, the two Mama Mia movies and their music on Spotify help me revisit the 70's whenever I feel the urge. And, yes, dancing or at least energetic twitching, is encouraged.
Caree Risover said…
Love it. Sounds just like Another Town, Another Train to put on your White Sombrero and Dance (While the Music Still Goes On).
Doug said…
Testing, testing... one, two, three, is my comment coming through to thee?

Follows recent tweets re my difficulties in leaving a comment.

Doug
Caree Risover said…
Thanks Doug - Reading you loud and clear, but it was Abba not Shakespeare
Madeline Kasian said…
I recently found a local tour group that takes seniors (age 55 plus..) to downtown Phoenix for shows/matinees. Since my husband works part time still and also doesn't always like the same shows as I do.. it’s been a fun way to see more live theater.I recently saw Cabaret—very sexy costumes and topic and while the theater was filled with retirees, we all thoroughly enjoyed the show/costumes,etc.. (many of us grew up in the 60’s you know!!) We saw Mama Mia live at the Mandalay Bay theater a few years back, it was in mid summer when Vegas is not busy and we got 2 for 1 front row seats! GREAT music!!!
Caree Risover said…
What a great idea. Mister E isn’t a great fan of theatre, primarily because he finds the leg room insufficient, so I could maybe do with a local tour group myself.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Fatigued

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

Technophobia

A Lifesaver