Water, Water Everywhere



No, I haven't drowned; it just feels like it sometimes and, despite the best efforts of Storms Ciara and Dennis, we have probably been fairly fortunate to have suffered no more than what seems like continuous rainfall and blustery conditions. Our village lies very close to a flood plain which can cause problems for some properties from time to time, and so for the last two weekends they have had sandbags at the ready should they be needed to provide a barrier to the liquid mud that flows from the fields from time to time. In the event, they have not been required and we have escaped unscathed although all around us the countryside is littered with lakes that don't generally exist but which this winter just seem to have grown and grown.

In fact the only impediment that I personally suffered was when the River Tees broke its banks closing the local A road for the best part of 24 hours and in so doing prevented my journey to the gym. However, I've made up for it ever since cramming in a run of  classses and bound with vitality as a result. Whoever thought that I'd pass so much time in retirement weight lifting? Certainly not me!

Of late, I've noticed that retirement is bringing a certain optimisim to my otherwise legally honed pessimistic personality. So much so, that despite the risks of  injuring myself or finding my route permanently disabled by water, I renewed the annual gym and spa membership this week. You see, my confidence extends to 12 months' healthy living and an end to the interminable downpours! 

In fact what  has been a somewhat dull, damp winter looks as if it is transitioning into Spring already as evidenced by daffodils and primroses blooming in the garden. Unfortunately some have appeared amongst a tub of straggling pelargoniums providing an unintended and frankly quite revolting colour combination of pale pink and bright yellow, after winter failed to kill off the summer planting and the pelargoniums have continued to flower. Still at least they are providing some relief to what has otherwise been a monochrome background, as well as a smile of revulsion, every time I pass the tub when going through the front door.

My new Art Class too has moved on from pencil and charcoal drawings to colour. In recent weeks we have experimented with gouache and oil pastels, neither of which I had ever tried before. The pastels in particular, however, were so vibrant that I fell in love instantly and obviously had to use them to try to create some sunflower magic. Sometimes all it needs is a bit of colour to forget the nasty weather outside and get me expectantly looking out of the window for summer. 

Yes, I'm afraid this optimism lark can get a little too powerful on occasions, but long may it continue because I'm rather liking it!


Comments

Treaders said…
Optimism is addictive isn't it - as is spring as far as I'm concerned. My favourite season. And well done on renewing your gym membership. I do go to mine but not as often as I should/would like to. I'm thinking finding something nearer to home might be the solution to that!
Royce Shook said…
Every one of us who set the alarm for the next morning has a built-in sense of optimism and faith in the future. I, like you, have faith that I will be here at least for a while as I am planning a trip for next year, which I intend to complete. Enjoy your memberships
Caree Risover said…
Yes Treaders, I like the idea of it being addictive; it certainly gives me a high anyway and I’d like to think it’s infectious too. Moreover, my optimism and faith in the future is such that I’m certain you will be completing that trip next year, Royce.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Thank You but..

Happy New Me

Keeping the Faith