The Pain Gain


Image by Mariolh on Pixabay
 
Joint stiffness, which seems more common as we age, can often be alleviated by exercise. “Use it or lose it,” is, of course, a well-voiced maxim and I’ve tried to take it to heart in retirement.

However, you can loosen your joints to your heart’s content only to find your body crippled by another stiffness: that of aching muscles. Inflamed tissue, muscle knots and tightness; sometimes we knowingly stretch them out, other times they fade of their own accord as our daily routines pull and lengthen them back to comfort.

Lately, I’ve attended classes where together we’ve used foam rollers to self-massage many of the trigger points, relieving tightness and soreness, in some cases only after passing the pain threshold.

Today I tried something different: a neck and shoulder massage delivered by a smiling lady in a flowing robe, inside a darkened room. This was not one of those relaxing seaweed wraps or indulgent hot-stone therapies, just sheer unadulterated agony as she kneaded those adhesions in my muscles and connecting tissue. Fifteen minutes of pain with my upper back drenched in almond oil as she pushed, pulled and pummelled. I clenched my teeth and imagined bruises appearing across my battered shoulders. Suddenly, however, the brutal torment transformed the stiffness and I could almost convince myself that I was enjoying the final seconds of the punishing experience.

The best bit without any doubt was the recovery period although I think the therapist referred to it as relaxation. I just lay, head down, thankful it was over.

My intention is not, of course, to put you off. In fact I now feel so marvellous that I am thinking of booking another session.



Comments

Treaders said…
I used to get massages fairly regularly and I was always amazed at how the tiniest little ladies can pummel the heck out of you. The worst was a diddy little woman in Peru - I swear she had fingers of steel - but I didn't want to cry in front of her!!
Caree Risover said…
Yes, I confess to considering pleading for mercy, just at a point where it felt as though she must be jumping on me but, like you, I didn’t want her to think I was soft!

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Fatigued

Planning for the Big Day

Grateful for a Good Week

Great British Bake Off

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Technophobia