A Day for Emotions




Today I left my mother, who lives locally to me, at my sister's to sit out this epidemic in their somewhat remote home. Then I returned for a bi-weekly appointment at the hospital to be told that I was the penultimate patient before the department closed. Not yet halfway through a course of treatment that so far has been a resounding success and it has finished. Of course, I'd expected it but it certainly moves you when the staff are clearly shaken and all the nurse can say is, "See you on the other side."

There have been a few tears in my eyes today, I can tell you.

Also anger. I'm cross with all those people who are stockpiling to an unreasonable degree and through their selfishness depriving other people and causing them unnecessary anxiety. I am also infuriated to learn of fraudsters operating in our district who have been offering to undertake shopping for elderly people who are isolating themselves and then have taken their grocery list and money but never returned. 

Ever the pragmatist, the only way I know to deal with the anguishes and hardships that life can throw at you is to keep busy. So, back at home, I threw myself into volunteering and arranged to pick up medications regularly for an elderly couple in the village and to run errands for others, as and when. 

Pursuant to Government advice, I am one of the few local inhabitants not being asked to isolate myself because of age or other vulnerability but instead must restrict social contact. Apparently that means with caution I can travel to visit the supermarket and pharmacy as well as to check on others so long as I maintain an appropriate distance and take protective measures. Additionally it is safe to go outside to walk, drive or tend to my garden.

The calendar on the wall is now a series of crossings out. There are a few exciting items remaining for March: the bin collection dates and the visit to the pharmacy next week to collect those prescriptions!

Comments

Anonymous said…
you boomers are shutting down the entire economy because you're afraid of a flu. Seriously, can you boomers kill yourselves? You are the most selfish generation to ever exist. You don't give a shit about climate change, why should we young people give a shit if you get sick and die of some virus? I HOPE the virus gets much stronger and kills you all.
Caree Risover said…
What a strange attitude, when this boomer and those she cares for are isolating or social distancing as requested by the government and are being deprived of all non-life saving hospital treatment ( my mother will risk going blind, deprived of the cataract operation she has been waiting for over a year for). They are doing this so that they do not themselves add to this epidemic and clog up hospital beds needed to get younger people fit, well and back to work, so that they can keep the economy you refer to operating. We are all in this together and societies are judged on how they look after their old and vulnerable people. Can I suggest, therefore, instead of trolling a retirement blog, you shut up, do something useful with your life and make sure that you too keep your distance and wash your hands.
Treaders said…
That troll has been hitting a few blogs recently. What a wanker (pardon my French). I'm on day 5 of being locked in and it's been ok. In order to go out grocery shopping you have to have an attestation on you and show it to the police if you get stopped - otherwise there's a fine. So far (and it's early days) people are following orders, from what I see, which does actually surprise me a bit for the French. Maybe being only 45 minutes away from the Italian border makes things more real somehow. Stay safe.
Caree Risover said…
Yes, I debated whether to allow the troll a voice or not, but disdain forced me to respond rather than ignore. These are scary times for everybody, but sadly the best contribution we can make to society seems to be to look out for friends, neighbours and family (mainly using technology) and not to catch it ourselves so that we don’t burden over pressed health systems.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Sort Your Life Out

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Happy New Me

Keeping the Faith

Late, Even in Retirement