Not so Gruelling

 
Image by Hans Braxmeier from Pixabay
I can hardly believe that my last outpatients' appointment was just over a week ago. I've been visiting for treatment for a longterm skin condition and before we parted, the nurse suggest that to help tide my condition over, I try soaking in oats. Yes, I kid you not: porridge oats!

Move over Cleopatra with your pissy white ass milk; real women soak in gruel.

Of course, getting hold of porridge oats with the current retail shortages has not been easy and no way was Mister E going to hand over his solitary pack of the organic variety.

However, we found a box of  basic porridge oats at the horrendous price of £0.70 (nothing extravagant for this lady) when we made our shopping trip on Thursday. I tried them out, following instructions to put a fistful in an old pop sock and then drop it into a bath of running water. After all, I didn't want to feed breakfast to the drains.

Yes, it turned out to be full Dickensian experience, lying back and thinking of "Oliver Twist" as I floated in a sea of grimey grey gruel, squeezing the sock every now and again for a top-up. 

Now I appreciate you may not want to sample the experience to find out for yourself, but it really was good for the flesh.

Staying at home and manufacturing your own therapies for entertainment and health: there have to be infinite possibilities. Perhaps it would be best if we could get over this epidemic quickly before the herbs begin to abound.

Comments

Treaders said…
Now that's interesting. I remember looking at organic recipes/remedies years ago and being exhorted to make a face mask out of oats, so why not. I think maybe our grandmothers really did know what they were doing! Glad it helped you though!
Caree Risover said…
Time to rummage through the kitchen cupboards for bathroom ingredients
Jennyff said…
I remember years ago a friend used that treatment for her son eczema, hope it works for you. Just wondering what you do with the oaks afterwards, porridge or flapjack?
Caree Risover said…
LOL -Ugh,no although I do like both. Surprisingly they do pretty much all dissolve during the course of a bath and it seems to be a way to use up and then ultimately throw away with the remnants, those horrible nylon socks and tights that accumulated whilst working and I haven't worn since.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Fatigued

A Lifesaver

Tormented

Grateful for a Good Week

Happy Easter